Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I have searched to each end of the earth to find and answer for this and I GOT NOTHING... When.. OH WHEN.. is the new Radeon series coming to retail for mac.. everysite on the net that has anything to say about it says its coming in september.. newsflash that was like 2 months ago? I called macmall.. and you can preorder for the Radeon 9000.. but they aren't sure when they are getting it.. and they guy i talked to wasn't even aware they were coming out with a mac Radeon 9700 ... I want to buy a new grfx card to replace my aging GeForce 2mx.. and I want the dual monitor functionality.. I'm sure theres a lot of people out there in my situation.. Do I buy the Geforce 4 Ti from apple or wait (who knows how long) for the Radeon 9700.. or 9000...

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Unless you need dual digital capability, the radeon 8500 is a better card. Some things are better on the 9000 but overall the 8500 is better. THeres also the option of buying a used one on ebay.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Radeon Retail Availabilty

Originally posted by insidedanshead
I have searched to each end of the earth to find and answer for this and I GOT NOTHING... When.. OH WHEN.. is the new Radeon series coming to retail for mac.. everysite on the net that has anything to say about it says its coming in september.. newsflash that was like 2 months ago? I called macmall.. and you can preorder for the Radeon 9000.. but they aren't sure when they are getting it.. and they guy i talked to wasn't even aware they were coming out with a mac Radeon 9700 ... I want to buy a new grfx card to replace my aging GeForce 2mx.. and I want the dual monitor functionality.. I'm sure theres a lot of people out there in my situation.. Do I buy the Geforce 4 Ti from apple or wait (who knows how long) for the Radeon 9700.. or 9000...

word of advice, be patient and wait for the radeon 9000 to come out, or better yet the 9700. both have dual digital monitor outs, and although the 9000 is easily beaten by the Nvidia Ti card the 9700 blows it out of the water. Check out tomshardware.com for a nice graphics card comparison. I have the 9000 in my PM and it's wonderful but if youre a gamer and want the highest frame rates possible then go for the 9700, otherwise settle for the much cheaper 9000.

tyler

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I feel your pain....

I too have been waiting (patiently) for any of the new Radeon cards to replace my GeForce 2MX.

After the release times (mentioned in their pre-MacWorld press release) came and went, I sent ATI an email inquiring on the availability. Well, after a couple week long exchange of emails, I'm curious to know if ATI is REALLY interested in the Mac retail graphics card market. They have no date and did warn (as of last month) that it wouldn't be anytime soon. If memory serves, my last email from them made it sound like neither card would be out in time for the holidays.

The Radeon cards have some very nice specs, but, I'm starting to look at the GeForce4 Ti. One...it's available whenever I want it. Two...I will "reward" with my business companies who invest in my platform of choice. ATI seems to only have enough of the 9000 Pro for Apple to use in the Mirror Doors PowerMac, yet they have a whole new series of Radeons IN THE STORE for PCs.

Tim

Ti_Pousin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Canada
Radeon slow to come to retail

I waiting too, I would like to buy a 9700 or 9000 but they aren't avaible for Mac! the GForce 4 Ti on the apple store is 400$, too much for this card! the price haven't drop in a while. It's the same price (400$) as a Radeon 9700 Pro for PC that are really more powerfull!

The radeon 9000 on PC got a price cut few weeks ago and we still can't buy the Mac version:confused:

apple did a good move into portable to bring video card up to date (wich came from a long way), the desktop model will need to be put up to date too, soon I hope.

Please ATI sold us the Radeon 9000 pro card before it get oudated please! I won't buy it in the middle of next years cause the NV30 will be out and more powerfull then the Radeon 9700 Pro. You get ahead for he first time in many years, use it to sold!

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I just don't understand the logic here.. apple is selling the 9000 right now and have been for a while.. so take a few off the assembly line slap them in a box (it can even be an ugly box i dont care) and sell them retail style. And in terms of the geforce 4 ti - I DO NOT want to pay 400 for a card that PC Users can get for not more than a hundred bucks.. this is rather ridiculous..

what limits apple users is the ADC connection ... apple needs to send VGA to ADC adapters with all their machines and somehow figure out how we can use Peecee cards in our boxes... ooooh imagine the possibilities.... yah .. i know you guys feel me on that... oh yeah and granted you can flash the cards to work but you still have to buy the adapters.. and theres a chance the card may not even work

Originally posted by insidedanshead
what limits apple users is the ADC connection ... apple needs to send VGA to ADC adapters with all their machines and somehow figure out how we can use Peecee cards in our boxes... ooooh imagine the possibilities.... yah .. i know you guys feel me on that... oh yeah and granted you can flash the cards to work but you still have to buy the adapters.. and theres a chance the card may not even work
In my opinion, ADC should have never existed. What a waste on a proprietary cable type. Just go with DVI already.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by MacCoaster

In my opinion, ADC should have never existed. What a waste on a proprietary cable type. Just go with DVI already.
I have an ACD monitor.. and i Need ADC, it saves me a plug on my crowded power strip, and the 2 Extra USB without a hub is indespensible...

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Jimong5

I have an ACD monitor.. and i Need ADC, it saves me a plug on my crowded power strip, and the 2 Extra USB without a hub is indespensible...

I agree with MacCoaster.... and there are PLENTY of VGA monitors out there with USB hubs in them.. they work nice.. .. i Too have an 17" CRT ADC apple monitor.. but because I do i'm stuck with buying a card that has an ADC port.. which is why i can't buy a Radeon 8500.. you have to get an adapter.. an adapter that costs as much as almost a monitor itself.. come on apple.. give us a break.. you standardized with USB back in the day now standardize with DVI and VGA.. none of this ADC stuff..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.