Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
Hi there.
I'm reading tons of threads here on the forum, but I still have some questions about the installation...
1) I've just purchased this beast: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th-anniversary and I'm wondering if I need to do the Pixlas mod or if I can use the normal 6pins plugs on the motherboard.
I've seen both solutions over the internet, so I don't know exactly what to do.
2) Is it possible to go from 10.11 or 10.12 to Catalina having available these cards? Nvidia gt120, Nvidia Quadro 4000 for mac and the above Radeon?
3) I'd really like to have the boot screen (the card I purchased hasn't been flashed), so the only solution is using OpenCore, correct? In this case, do I have to upgrade the firmware first?

I'm going to upgrade the entire machine in the next future. By now, I decided to go (in order) with:
a) gpu upgrade
b) nmve upgrade
c) tb3 card upgrade
d) usb 3.1 upgrade
e) cpu and ram
f) bluetooth/airport

I've already got:
- ahci 256 GB blade+adapter (LyCOM DT120) with 10.12 on it. I'm purchasing another adapter and the Sabrent nvme 1TB blade to install Catalina on.
- caldigit Fasta-6GU3plus for usb3.1
- Nvidia graphics cards.

Coming:
- Radeon graphics card (arriving in 10-14 days)
- kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0/4.0 x4 Adapter
- Sabrent Internal 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
- cpu and ram (planned for september)

for the tb3 I need to recall the thread in which I see the german guy speaking about it.
Any other suggestion is really appreciated.
Thanks a lot

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Just from looking at the amd website, the specs say the card draws 235 watts and has 1 6pin + 1 8pin power cables.

The conventional wisdom on the forums is that the maximum you can safely pull from a stock Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 is 225 watts using 2 6pin cables OR a 2 6pin to single 8 pin cable. So I'd say you need the pixlas mod or to draw additional power from one of the sata ports.

There are some other people that say that you can actually go over 225 and that you'll be fine. Some people will customize the card's firmware to run on less power. There have been many debates and you can find all of them here in the forums.

I'm personally fairly risk averse and wouldn't risk burning out the back plane. So I'd personally go with the pixlas mod and probably never worry about power for the GPU again.

unpapapro

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Quebec City, Canada
I describe in that post's reply, that i do not have to hack the mac with the Pixlas...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.