Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I just received a Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP w/ Backplate Special Edition (UEFI) PCI-E Graphic Cards 11265-21-20G

Today I got around to installing it in my 5,1 (2010 model, not a flash 4,1) in High Sierra. I'm using the power adapter mentioned in the other thread from Hong Kong to give me the 8 pin connector from 2 6s. It seemed to recognize the card perfectly. I decided to run some benchmarks after playing around with it for a bit. This was likely my mistake.

I downloaded, through the App Store, the GFXBench Metal app and ran it. After it was finished I noticed lots of graphic glitches in 3D content. (Regular desktop/browsing, etc. is absolutely fine.) Various things like Web GL, Open GL games (as you can see in the HotS screenshot,) and Metal games are affected. In WoW for instance, my character is standing amidst a swarm of black flickering triangles.

I don't have my windows machine in a state I can swap them in right now, so I booted into an old drive of Sierra (same issues,) and updated that to High Sierra to the same issues when tested with Web GL stuff.

I believe this is a card issue as the two OSes exhibited the behavior and it's present in Open GL as well as Metal in games and Web GL. Would you guys concur? My question as such is asking if the benchmarking caused the issue or simply brought it to the fore. The fans ramped up appropriately, nothing else seemed odd or out of character.

I would appreciate any insight you might have on this issue.

(I've already requested a replacement and should have it Saturday, I don't want to cause a problem if I was the cause.)

HotSGlitches.png

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I just received a Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP w/ Backplate Special Edition (UEFI) PCI-E Graphic Cards 11265-21-20G

Today I got around to installing it in my 5,1 (2010 model, not a flash 4,1) in High Sierra. I'm using the power adapter mentioned in the other thread from Hong Kong to give me the 8 pin connector from 2 6s. It seemed to recognize the card perfectly. I decided to run some benchmarks after playing around with it for a bit. This was likely my mistake.

I downloaded, through the App Store, the GFXBench Metal app and ran it. After it was finished I noticed lots of graphic glitches in 3D content. (Regular desktop/browsing, etc. is absolutely fine.) Various things like Web GL, Open GL games (as you can see in the HotS screenshot,) and Metal games are affected. In WoW for instance, my character is standing amidst a swarm of black flickering triangles.

I don't have my windows machine in a state I can swap them in right now, so I booted into an old drive of Sierra (same issues,) and updated that to High Sierra to the same issues when tested with Web GL stuff.

I believe this is a card issue as the two OSes exhibited the behavior and it's present in Open GL as well as Metal in games and Web GL. Would you guys concur? My question as such is asking if the benchmarking caused the issue or simply brought it to the fore. The fans ramped up appropriately, nothing else seemed odd or out of character.

I would appreciate any insight you might have on this issue.

(I've already requested a replacement and should have it Saturday, I don't want to cause a problem if I was the cause.)

View attachment 798416
I very much doubt it's hardware related. The card only really works well in Mojave. I suggest you upgrade to Mojave before trying to return any cards.

Reactions: t8er8 and h9826790

odin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Thanks guys. It was hardware in the end. I managed to get it into a win box. It was just exposed or aggravated by that benchmark I guess. New one here sometime later this morning. Almost hesitant to push it. hehe

OneyedK

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2018
Mechelen, Belgium
Push it! If the heat generated by a benchmark crasks a bad solder joint, you'll know and you can send it back.
If this happens after a year, you end up with a defective card and no warranty.
(repair is possible, but difficult)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Push it! If the heat generated by a benchmark crasks a bad solder joint, you'll know and you can send it back.
If this happens after a year, you end up with a defective card and no warranty.
(repair is possible, but difficult)

What benchmark do you suggest for this? I'm a LITTLE suspicious of mine as well.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks guys. It was hardware in the end. I managed to get it into a win box. It was just exposed or aggravated by that benchmark I guess. New one here sometime later this morning. Almost hesitant to push it. hehe
Was the card new or off of eBay or the like?

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Here's the link to the app the original post refers to: https://gfxbench.com/result.jsp

Also, I recently purchased the RX 580 Pulse and am wondering if in the future any faster GPUs can be used in the Mac Pro 5,1 or any faster processors. I currently have the [2 x 3.46GHz Intel Xeon 6 core "Westmere" (12 cores)] configuration.

Last edited:

macz_24

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
I very much doubt it's hardware related. The card only really works well in Mojave. I suggest you upgrade to Mojave before trying to return any cards.
Hello friend, I would like to know if the Sapphire Radeon Nitro + RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP w / Backplate Special Edition (UEFI)., Is compatible with the MAC Pro 5.1, even at the start to start USB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.