Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i3eezenotch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
Hi all,

I just upgraded my 580x to the Vega Pro II duo MPX card. This is primarily because I am using ISTAT menus and realized I've had a speed bottle neck when doing a lot of photo processing in photoshop, lightroom, etc. I also upgraded the memory simultaneously.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine, but in ISTAT menus, I only see one GPU working. Both are recognized, but only one is showing any usage. I bought the GPU from OWC (macsales) open box. It came with the little black bar that plugs onto the top of the MPX card - I have no idea what that is, but I didn't plug it in when I first started the computer -- worked fine, but when I realized that only one GPU is working, I plugged the bar onto the top of the MPX card. Still works fine, but still no second GPU being used on the ISTAT menus. Is this typical? Any thoughts?

Also, curious if people thing it's worth upgrading the CPU (I have the 12 core Xeon) if I don't do much video work, just photo work. For how expensive this machine is, I just hoped it would be lightning fast with everything!

Thanks!

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I’m not aware of Adobe apps using more than one GPU.

Apps have to be specifically coded to use more than one GPU. The little black bar is an infinilink bridge, which allows the two GPU’s to talk to each other much faster than they could using the PCIe slots. Apps have to be specifically coded to use this too, or use libraries and frameworks to enable this functionality. It also allows the VRAM to be pooled together. Deep-learning and rendering tasks are the typical uses for this kind of setup, but I’m sure there are others

i3eezenotch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2022
I’m not aware of Adobe apps using more than one GPU.

Apps have to be specifically coded to use more than one GPU. The little black bar is an infinilink bridge, which allows the two GPU’s to talk to each other much faster than they could using the PCIe slots. Apps have to be specifically coded to use this too, or use libraries and frameworks to enable this functionality. It also allows the VRAM to be pooled together. Deep-learning and rendering tasks are the typical uses for this kind of setup, but I’m sure there are others
Thanks! Makes me regret gettign the Vega duo -- based on istat menus it looks like it's already maxing out the memory half the time I'm doing photo processing. I wonder how else I can expedite my workflow...thanks for the info!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Take the 580X out and throw it away. It never was a good GPU👎 It's not even in the base configuration anymore. Absolutely no reason to keep it in your machine any longer. Mine went out with the trash long ago.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.