Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmacc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Bluegrass State
What is your favorite radio app. and why? Of the ones I have now, Tunemark radio is my favorite with its big selections and including a sleep timer.

Also, which radio app. presents the best album cover artwork?

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I like Wunder Radio because it has a ton of stations and you can add any station to it as well. It also has a built in web browser and it can run in the background so you can use other apps while you listen.

mmacc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Bluegrass State
I just discovered Smart Tunes radio and I think I'm going to use this app. quite often. No, it doesn't have a big selection of stations BUT what it excels at is the ability to use its sleep timer with fade out and wake up alarm with fade in to either your own music (like what's on your iPod) that you installed on your iPad or using its WiFi internet radio stations. This app. seems perfect for bedtime. I can't wait to try it out.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I recently started using TuneIn Radio. I've used a lot of radio apps and they've been a mixed bag. Wunderadio frequently rebuffered for no apparent reason on any type of stream. I liked HiDef Radio and it's pretty good.

I tried out TuneIn and I really enjoy it. It supports many different formats, has a lot of features like sleep timer and stream recording. It has a large station list. I think I'll stick with this one for a while.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I would Highly recommend the Reciva Radio App. As of now it's formatted for the iPhone/touch and goes for $4.99. Because it tunes in over 17,000 Radio stations world wide it is well worth the price. Now I know it's not formatted for the iPad in HD but hey it's one heck of a Radio App. You get the same stations I do and others that own an Internet Radio which buy the way are typically between $129 and $500.

Reciva makes the chip sets sold in many US Internet radios, like the Grace, CCrane etc..... I own a Grace and was wanting Internet Radio at work. This app saved me $164 and like I said I get all the stations that my Internet Grace radio gets. I use this app on my touch and my iPad.

There are just way too many stations to list. Some examples are BBC, CNN TV, Fox News Radio, almost any AM and FM stations, Dutcheswell (sp Germany), Israel, all the C-Span TV channels (Audio), Egypt, etc..... The list is crazy!

This app also allows you to use Live 365 via the UI in the app and it can be set up either on the device or at the Reciva website where you one time register the app.

IM just a user that finds this app one of the best access's to Internet and world wide radio.

Oh you can stream your favorite stations to your device from the internet even if there is not a radio station per se. You just pop in the URL on their site and it will then be available on your device. You also can listen to web sites that have podcasts.

Honestly there's a ton of features besides the 17,000 stations world wide. Note this is not just access to shout cast like feeds. It is the same feeds that a US stand alone radio gets with out the costs incurred of actually buying an Internet Radio.

Lastly, I have installed this app on 2 devices at no extra charge.

Just a user that is addicted to his internet radio. ;)

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
iHeartRadio has by far the best selection from what I've seen. And I love the layout and style of it - it's a lot like the iPod App, or Pandora, etc...

Not sure if there's an iPad App yet for it, but its good enough to use the iPhone version.

Plus... it's free, and no ads.

mmacc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Bluegrass State
jeffy777: I downloaded Wunder Radio and yeah, it does have a lot of interesting features….a keeper….thanks.

avaloncourt: I downloaded HiDef and TuneIn radio. Both are very good and very different from each other. I like them equally and will keep them….thanks.

DaBrain: Last year I bought a Sangean internet radio and I thought it was amazing and still do. Now I wish I hadn't bought it since you can put Reciva radio on the iPad…..but how was I to know. Reciva radio really does have an incredible amount of varied stations and not only for music. The Reciva radio app. on the iPad seems much better visibly and easier to interact with it.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
iHeartRadio has by far the best selection from what I've seen. And I love the layout and style of it - it's a lot like the iPod App, or Pandora, etc...

Not sure if there's an iPad App yet for it, but its good enough to use the iPhone version.

Plus... it's free, and no ads.

It only offers Clear Channel's stations, which there are quite a few, but other apps such as Wunder Radio offer a lot more stations and allow you to add your own.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Big fan of Wunder Radio though aint tried it on the ipad yet!!

Hopefully it can run in background with new OS 4.0

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
It usually only re-buffers once for me (just a couple seconds after the stream starts). Then after that, it's smooth as silk.

I've had worse results than that. I frequently have rebuffers sometimes every 30-60 second. It gets a little frustrating.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I've had worse results than that. I frequently have rebuffers sometimes every 30-60 second. It gets a little frustrating.

I guess it depends on what stations you listen to. I only listen to a handful of Chicago stations on a regular basis and they are all smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.