Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I’ve been using a Lacie 2big thunderbolt for a while. It used software RAID. I discovered in the past that there’s a problem with systems later than 10.10. With later systems after a restart all windows that were open on the drive are now closed. I thought that maybe a hardware RAID would work so I picked up a Promise Pegasus but no luck with any system. I believe that’s because by the time it’s ready the Mac has already booted. Could be wrong on that.

Basically I’m looking for a RAID array that with a more currant OS will have it’s windows open after a reboot.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Unsure what exactly you mean. Using Pegasus3 with Mac Pro 2019 running current Big Sur. Pegasus is online before the Mac finishes booting, it does that <beep> <beep> <beep>, the amber/orange light turns blue, and everything is present upon login.

"Resume" and "re-open open windows on restart" is a software setting that doesn't have anything to do with the hardware. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about (...?)

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Using either my Pegasus drives or my software RAID drives here’s what happens on all Macs.

With 10.10 if I have some windows open on the RAID array when I shut down then when I start up again they are all open.

With 10.11 and later after startup the only windows that will be open will be on single drives but not on RAIDs.

I picked up a new Mac a couple of years ago then thought that maybe Apple had run into this and could help so I hauled my stuff into their store. All I got was exercise.

My Pegasus drives use mechanical drives while everything I boot off is a NVMe so I’m booted before the Pegasus drives are online. The Pegasuses might work if my boot time was a few seconds slower

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
Ahhhh.. Lacie2big via thunderbolt.... that's how I ended up with a 5,1. [something in my profile about it if you want the origin story].

There are just so many factors not considered in your opening post so I'll just have a quick stab at providing an answer..

I'm assuming.. "Windows open" equals *reopen [FINDER] windows when logging back in* (like screenshot). Behaviour on this has always been unpredictable and changes between OSX releases (later releases respect it / earlier releases ONLY observe this preference for ALL open applications with the EXCEPTION of Finder).

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 12.31.56 pm.png

"external" RAID has nothing to do with it.
First principles....... macOS preboot config uniformly evaluates (1) SATA ports THEN (2) enumerates PCIe connected hardware THEN (3) GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) e.g. boot screen in a routine/procedure wholly unrelated to the final step...... loading the OS (and opening desktop).

THUNDERBOLT is just a PCIe connected peripheral (and enumerated as such). I'm worried this is a 10-page essay so.. for brevity.. my experience is this..

I use bootable SoftRAID arrays with NVMe drives -- WORKS fine (on HFS+)
I use bootable Highpoint WEBGUI configured RAID arrays -- WORKS fine
HDD arrays - work fine
SAS to SATA III SSD arrays - work fine

In summary... the "CONNECTION via thunderbolt" theory (or the "HDD v SSD arrays" theory) should NOT have ANY bearing on whether FINDER windows reopen on restart.

I hope knowing what it is not will help you advance a little faster :)

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
“Reopen windows when logging back in” is checked and windows from single drives are open after booting but not from RAID arrays.

Your comment got me thinking. I hadn’t considered that it might be a Thunderbolt issue but maybe it is.

I do have a couple of RAID arrays with USB connectors so I gave them a try on my 2019 Mac Pro and the windows did stay open. The software RAID drive stayed open in the way it was and the hardware Raid was open but with some extra columns, that is Boot drive – Volumes – then a list of all the hard drives and finally the window I had open.

So it looks like I can update to the current OS and have things work the way I want if I switch to USB instead of thunderbolt

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I’ve wondered if the issue was that the Raid arrays were too slow coming up at startup. This week I noticed a Lacie Little Big Disk on CL, two SSDs RAIDed. Only thunderbolt 1 but that’s not too important. And it works.

I need a minimum of 8tb. I have 2, 4 and 6 drive Raid arrays so I started pricing drives. I have a liking for Samsung SSDs unfortunately. Two 4tb SSDs cost more than one 8tb and four 2tb are pricier yet. So I guess I’ll stick to 10.10 fror a bit longer and see if there’s a price drop when larger SSDs come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.