Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littleasian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
in leopard/SL, if you held down option + shift while using the volume buttons on the keyboard, you could get it to rise in half step/quarter step increments.

i can't seem to be able to perform this in lion at all. is there anyway i can reenable the functionality?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It's gone for now. Let's hope Apple brings it back again. They should have gotten enough bug reports about it. :/

Zaphire D'fox

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Portland, OR
Automator Workaround

I just spent a good deal of the evening looking for the same ability. A reply to an old post on the Apple discussions forum from someone who didn't know about the "shift + option + vol" trick, gave me an idea on how to achieve a similar behavior in Lion via Applescript. I came across this post in my searching and thought I'd share my findings.

Open "Automator" and create a new "Service" workflow. Set the service to receive no input in any application. Add a "Run Applescript" action and insert the following in the script...

Code:
	set vol to get volume settings
	set volume output volume ((output volume of vol) + 1)

Save the workflow as "Volume Up". Create another service workflow the same way, but change the plus to a minus. Save it as "Volume Down". In Lion, the F11 & F12 keys default to Mission Control shortcuts. You'll need to change them to something else if you want to use those for your fine tune volume controls (if you just want to disable them, you'll need to set them to something else first to free up the shortcuts; I used F18 & F19). Now goto the keyboard shortcuts tab in the keyboard preference pane, select "Services", find the services you created with Automator, and double-click to the far right of each service to set the keyboard shortcut. If you did everything correctly, you should be able to press "fn + F11" and "fn + F12" to adjust your volume a little more precisely. Works great for me so far!

FurryToes

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Code:
	set vol to get volume settings
	set volume output volume ((output volume of vol) + 1)
That code didn't work for me - I changed the code as per this blog discussion screenshot - http://jalpuna.com/blogpics/011410-volumeuplarge.gif and now it works:

Code:
set current_volume to output volume of (get volume settings)
if current_volume is less than 100 then
	set current_volume to current_volume + 1
end if
set volume output volume current_volume

I don't know AppleScript, so I can't quite say for sure what the problem was. It seems like your code is an abbreviated version which is doing almost exactly the same thing.
It might be because originally I didn't delete the default run/end run lines of code, and then when I tried this new code, I did try deleting it... so please don't take my lack of success as a proper indication the code is wrong.

The 100 ceiling check seems like a sensible addition anyway.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
It's working for me.

I have never had a need to use this and was just thinking about what to press to make this happen. Googled and this was the first link.

macccer

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
This works great except for the fact that when I lower the volume to zero I cant raise it again without changing it with my mouse. Seems like the script cannot read the volume when mute is on.

Anyone know how to add that to the script?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
This works great except for the fact that when I lower the volume to zero I cant raise it again without changing it with my mouse. Seems like the script cannot read the volume when mute is on.

Anyone know how to add that to the script?

Why not just use option+shift+vol up/down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.