Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtis.fic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I own a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33GHz

In my system profiler (sorry kind of a newb to Macs) it says I have a total of 512mb of RAM. Says:

DIMM0/Built-In - 256mb Speed: Built-In
DIMM1/J31 - 256mb DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2700U-25330

So does this mean I have an open slot still? From what I read in some searches my PB has 2 slots for RAM cards and 256mb built in to the Logic Board (again sorry, Mac newb) already?
I want to upgrade to as much RAM as possible for my little PB. (Getting used to the squinting, now just want to get rid of the lag when using programs like Photoshop and iphoto with my 7000+ photos)
So whats the max I can get installed? and what kind of compatable card(s) would I have to purchase to acheive this w/o some of the issues and problems I see occur when upgrading RAM..?

Thanks for any info..

iPhil

macrumors 68040
curtis.fic said:
I own a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33GHz

In my system profiler (sorry kind of a newb to Macs) it says I have a total of 512mb of RAM. Says:

DIMM0/Built-In - 256mb Speed: Built-In
DIMM1/J31 - 256mb DDR SDRAM Speed: PC2700U-25330

So does this mean I have an open slot still? From what I read in some searches my PB has 2 slots for RAM cards and 256mb built in to the Logic Board (again sorry, Mac newb) already?
I want to upgrade to as much RAM as possible for my little PB. (Getting used to the squinting, now just want to get rid of the lag when using programs like Photoshop and iphoto with my 7000+ photos)
So whats the max I can get installed? and what kind of compatable card(s) would I have to purchase to acheive this w/o some of the issues and problems I see occur when upgrading RAM..?

Thanks for any info..

From MacTracker app can be found from Mactracker.ca

Mactracker lists your Pb has a Ram (memory) limit of 1.25 Gb.. So that means you can upgrade with 1 stick of ram of ( PC-2700; 200 pin SO-DIMM)..

If you use the 1Gb ram stick then you'd max out the ram on that PB..

MacSrvant21

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
There is one built in memory of 256 as shown on your System profiler. The other one is located underneath your laptop. if you don't trust yourself, take it to apple or a tech room w/ qualified apple techs. If you d, just remove the four screws with i mini-phillips screwdriver. (don't forget to power off!!) and voila! theres the other chip. i replaced mine with a 1GB chip. it works great. The down side is that 12"PB's only have one slot...Unless theres someone out there who knows to change the board mounted memory.Just, make sure the specs are the same DDR SDRAM PC2700U-30330.
Tip: there are a lot of cheap (price) memory out there. It doesn't have to be Apple Brand.

curtis.fic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Great, thanks for the quick reply iphil..

Does anyone have experience using this card? (Found on welovemacs.com)

1GB Samsung/Apple PowerBook Approved PC2700 DDR SODIMM

M9284G/A, KTA-PBG4333/1G

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I just bought a Samsung stick from 18004memory for like $146 with overnite shipping. It's fully compatible. I learned this because i bought a cheap stick that was 100% PB certified, but that was for the new g4s that use PC4200 ram not PC2700 that is needed for your (our) model of PB. The website is 18004memory.com. The only other thing that you need is a #0 phillips head screwdriver to remove the back panel. Other than that its simple and instructions can be found at apple's website. Hope you haven't dropped an extra $100 on that crucial before i replied to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.