Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
my specs:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

The main thing i do on this baby is use Azureus (bittorrent client) and Safari/Firefox while using iTunes. All of these programs i usually use at the same time and often my computer slows down and does the swirling mouse :( mainly when i'm using azureus. Anyways, would getting another 512MB RAM for my PB help a lot and not only make azureus faster but to generally speed up mac os to make a difference, cause i don't know whether to get more RAM for my PB or get more RAM for my PC, any help thanks a lot.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Yep, I would definitely recommend more RAM. I recommend going through http://www.crucial.com/ Their warranty, customer service and product quality have been wonderful in my experience. I'm sure your system can go up beyond 1GB, you may want to check out all available options.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Depending when you bought the machine, the 512 Mb may be in 1 x 512 Mb SODIMM or 2 x 256 Mb SODIMMs

You can take this machine to 2 Gb maximum with 2 x 1 Gb PC2700 SODIMMs.

I recommend buying from a reputable seller that tests and guarantees compatibility with your Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Besides Crucial, other MR members have recommended OWC (MacSales), 18004memory (Cosat to Coast) and Data Memory Systems who are my favorite seller in the USA

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
cheers guys, I was looking at crucial and i have 1*512mb RAM so i think i'll get another 512, or maybe another gig?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you can afford the Gig, get it. Otherwise you're going to have to dispose of one of the 512's later when you want to upgrade.

Remember that the benefit of more RAM for the OS is magnified on a laptop0, because of the slower hard drive speed compared to a desktop - you take a bigger hit every time you have a pageout. Also, if you have enough RAM that the harddrive can go to sleep, you'll save some on battery life.

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
If you can afford the Gig, get it. Otherwise you're going to have to dispose of one of the 512's later when you want to upgrade.

Remember that the benefit of more RAM for the OS is magnified on a laptop0, because of the slower hard drive speed compared to a desktop - you take a bigger hit every time you have a pageout. Also, if you have enough RAM that the harddrive can go to sleep, you'll save some on battery life.

well, i'm quite reluctant to get the gig so i'll go with 512 :D thanks

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
This is the perfect thread to ask my recent question about Powerbook RAM and Crucial.com.

Recently with the introduction of 10.4.3 I realized that my 3rd party RAM had some serious issues. In particular it caused kernel panics. Now that I have reverted back to my original 512 I am determined to buy better memory this time around. So here's the question...

If I purchase Crucial RAM from Newegg.com ($108 for 1gb) will Crucial honor their warranty by replacing it if I have problems? Or do I have to order from Crucial.com to get that service ($179 for 1gb). Does anyone have experience with this? The last thing I want to do is waste another $100 like I did on my last stick of 3rd party memory.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah, I have read that bit of text but I can't really determine if they support all their products with the warranty or just those from Crucial.com.

I sent in an email request to find out the exact way it works. If no one else has an answer I will post it as soon as I hear back.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
MrSugar said:
This is the perfect thread to ask my recent question about Powerbook RAM and Crucial.com.

Recently with the introduction of 10.4.3 I realized that my 3rd party RAM had some serious issues. In particular it caused kernel panics. Now that I have reverted back to my original 512 I am determined to buy better memory this time around. So here's the question...

If I purchase Crucial RAM from Newegg.com ($108 for 1gb) will Crucial honor their warranty by replacing it if I have problems? Or do I have to order from Crucial.com to get that service ($179 for 1gb). Does anyone have experience with this? The last thing I want to do is waste another $100 like I did on my last stick of 3rd party memory.

The RAM from NewEgg is not the RAM part number that Crucial supports for Apples. If there is a compatibility (as opposed to a defective) problem, Crucial will just tell you to return it to NewEgg. NewEgg will tell you that they will charge a 15% restocking fee plus shipping if you want your money back.

Spend a little more ($121) and do business with a company who is prepared to guarantee compatibility for you. See previous posts for recommendations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.