Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
Hi, I've just bought an original powerbook G3 250 MHz (Kanga in 3400 shell) with 32mb of RAM installed. Does anyone know if the RAM type is same as for the 3400 series powerbooks (as was thinking it might be as the form factor is the same)? Also, is it possible to exceed the official 160MB limit? Additionally, Everymac.com says that RAM for this powerbook can't be interleaved to improve performance, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me what this means, and if it's something I need to be aware of when buying and installing new RAM.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Kanga (G3 250) RAM is proprietary.
It shares the 32 Mb size module with the Powerbook 3400, but the 64 and 128 are different.

It's going to be a right pain to find any. There is no option for >128 Mb modules that I know of, and it's going to be expensive, whichever, because the modules are out of production.

The Interleaving statement is somewhat misleading -- it's not like you are missing out on anything, the machine was never engineered for it in the first place. Interleaving is where two RAM modules are accessed by the memory controller as a pair, allowing for faster reading and writing speed. Most of the 72-pin RAM Macs did interleaving. Since the Kanga has only one memory socket, it is immaterial.

It's like saying: "This propeller-driven aircraft is incapable of using an afterburner." Well, duh!

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
CanadaRAM said:
The Kanga (G3 250) RAM is proprietary.
It shares the 32 Mb size module with the Powerbook 3400, but the 64 and 128 are different.

Thanks CanadaRAM, does that mean that if I buy a 128 3400 compatible module that it won't be suitable for the Kanga? I think I would be happy to even add a 32 module as I'm planning to run is 8.6 on it (i have a pismo for os X 10.3 but am really interested in using an OS more suited to the Kanga's architecture). And thanks for clearing up the interleaving mystery for me.

Aeronautical

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2005
London
CanadaRAM said:
Since the Kanga has only one memory socket, it is immaterial.

Oops I just read your post thru again. Will I have to remove the original RAM before installing new (no opportunity to add RAM on top of original 32)? If so I think I might be stuck at 32MB for a while...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.