Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Sadoyama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Honolulu
When I bought my MacBook Pro, I had the Apple Store guys upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 2GB. However, to do so they had to remove the existing 512MB SODIMM to make room for both 1GB SODIMMs. Now I have an extra 512MB SODIMM. Can I re-use it in another machine? Which models will it fit?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It will fit MacBook Pros, MacBooks, Intel iMacs, and Intel Mac minis...should also work in any PC laptops specced for PC5300 DDR2 667MHz 200 Pin SO-DIMM modules.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Eric Sadoyama said:
When I bought my MacBook Pro, I had the Apple Store guys upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 2GB. However, to do so they had to remove the existing 512MB SODIMM to make room for both 1GB SODIMMs. Now I have an extra 512MB SODIMM. Can I re-use it in another machine? Which models will it fit?

When they upgraded your ram you actually received the old stick as well? How much did they charge you for it?

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
generik said:
When they upgraded your ram you actually received the old stick as well? How much did they charge you for it?

I'm pretty sure this was a genious bar job. In this case, he bought the machine, then took the machine in to a retail store and had the geniouses put the RAM in. In this case he actually paid for that first stick, and then the upgrade sticks. All sticks are his.

If it had been configured online, you don't pay full price for the upgrade, you pay an upgrade price and DON'T get the original stick.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Fedge said:
I'm pretty sure this was a genious bar job. In this case, he bought the machine, then took the machine in to a retail store and had the geniouses put the RAM in. In this case he actually paid for that first stick, and then the upgrade sticks. All sticks are his.

If it had been configured online, you don't pay full price for the upgrade, you pay an upgrade price and DON'T get the original stick.

Oh I see.. I thought the genius charges the same as the online store AND gives the stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.