Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
Right now im shopping and comparing for what my next mac is gonna be, Ive narrowed it down to an 14" ibook or 12" powerbook with superdrive. I also know i want to add a gig of memory to what ever it is i buy and looking at crucial 1 gig for a 12" PB is $205.99 and that seemed like a lot. So i checked the price for a gig for 12" ibook and it was $164.79. Both are 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700.

So why the difference in price ? I cant see anything on the page that would make them different. The only thing i saw different was the part numbers, but even on the part number page, the stats for the memory was exactly the same except for the price ? Am i missing something, if i buy the cheaper ibook memory and stick it in a PB, will it work ?

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
tangerineyum said:
Right now im shopping and comparing for what my next mac is gonna be, Ive narrowed it down to an 14" ibook or 12" powerbook with superdrive. I also know i want to add a gig of memory to what ever it is i buy and looking at crucial 1 gig for a 12" PB is $205.99 and that seemed like a lot. So i checked the price for a gig for 12" ibook and it was $164.79. Both are 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700.

So why the difference in price ? I cant see anything on the page that would make them different. The only thing i saw different was the part numbers, but even on the part number page, the stats for the memory was exactly the same except for the price ? Am i missing something, if i buy the cheaper ibook memory and stick it in a PB, will it work ?

I personally think its crucial playing money games with memory. I know that i've checked prices with them before on 3 different computers and I used to get 3 different prices. I think they've caught on, that customers have caught on to their "act" and have tried to fix it, but it still happens.

Check out datamem for better prices and better customer service. http://www.datamem.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.