Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Ok, well I'm ready to switch, and it looks like it will be the 20" iMac. Couple of questions:

1. How concerned should I be about Rev A issues in your opinions?

2. I know everyone here recommends buying RAM from a third party, but I wonder if it is better to get it with 1 1GB stick instead of the 512MB stick for $90. That way, if I upgrade further I can buy 1GB for a totalk of 2GB rather than having to waste the 512MB stick and buy 2 1GB sticks -- make sense? What are your thoughts.

3. Should I upgrade the graphics card? I don't know much about computers but I am trying to learn. I will use the computer for surfing, blogging, and I am starting an online course of study in graphic design.

Thanks,
Jenny

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Forget about upgrading the graphics unless you want to do first person shooter games. 128 Mb is MORE than enough for 2-d graphics and all the stuff you're doing.

The RAM is $108 for a 1 Gb module from Data Memory Systems. So get the 512 Mb version spend the extra $18 and get 1.5 Gb. Then if you want to go to 2 Gb later, you can sell off the 512 Mb module.

Also, as soon as you start customizing your order (Build to order or BTO), it takes longer to deliver and you don't have the 14 day right of return for refund from Apple.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
Forget about upgrading the graphics unless you want to do first person shooter games. 128 Mb is MORE than enough for 2-d graphics and all the stuff you're doing.

The RAM is $108 for a 1 Gb module from Data Memory Systems. So get the 512 Mb version spend the extra $18 and get 1.5 Gb. Then if you want to go to 2 Gb later, you can sell off the 512 Mb module.

Also, as soon as you start customizing your order (Build to order or BTO), it takes longer to deliver and you don't have the 14 day right of return for refund from Apple.

What about my question about the Revision A? Also how hard is it to install RAM? I've never done it before. That is why I was thinking that I would get the 1GB stick and if I needed 2, to upgrade. You can't return machines with BTO options?

Avarus

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
jennysbelly said:
What about my question about the Revision A? Also how hard is it to install RAM? I've never done it before. That is why I was thinking that I would get the 1GB stick and if I needed 2, to upgrade. You can't return machines with BTO options?

Don't worry, if something happens to your machine that is Apple's fault, it's going to be covered under the 1 year hardware warranty. Or you could go the smart route and get APP and your computer would be covered for three years. The only thing you would suffer is downtime, other than that all repairs would be free.

It's not hard to install ram on the iMac's, the slots are easily accessible. They are just sort of slanted. or not, wow, they really made it easy to change the ram on this new sucker.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

There are the instructions with diagrams on how to install memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.