Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DazCris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Hi, Guys!

I’m not the most tech savvy person when it comes to computers, bur recently I started learning to 3D model as I always wanted to try it. I currently own an iMac from late 2013 and seems to be moving really slow. My questions are, can I upgrade its RAM? Also, what would you recommend? Unfortunately, I can’t afford to buy an new Mac now so I’m looking for the cheapest option available.

Thank you!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
SSD will be your best bet. Get a SATA> USB 3 enclosure, a cheap SSD, and use that as your boot drive.

If you've got a 21.5" iMac it's gonna be daunting to upgrade the RAM. 27" is easy.

DazCris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
do you have a 21.5 inch imac (hard), or a 27 inch imac (trivial)?

Pretty sure it’s 21.5.
[doublepost=1537225408][/doublepost]
SSD will be your best bet. Get a SATA> USB 3 enclosure, a cheap SSD, and use that as your boot drive.

If you've got a 21.5" iMac it's gonna be daunting to upgrade the RAM. 27" is easy.

I’m quite sure it’s the 21.5” the one I have. It was my brothers and he gave it to me recebtly. Thing is, I’m more interested in texturing in 3D, therefore I also need to have Photoshop open. Will the SSD help me with that?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
open up the "About this mac" window (first entry in the apple menu), and copy all the information (with the exception of the serial number) here.

processor, mac model, ram, graphics, etc.

DazCris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
open up the "About this mac" window (first entry in the apple menu), and copy all the information (with the exception of the serial number) here.

processor, mac model, ram, graphics, etc.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.