Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hello,

I have an iPhone XS that randomly started beeping today. It began in the morning while charging and on DND for my notications. It's 2 short, faint beeps coming from the speaker at the top of the screen. They lasted until I turned off the phone.

About 4 hours later, when the phone was unplugged, the beeping started again. I tried to record it with the pre-loaded recording app, but it stopped. I'm updated my phone to iOS 16.3 and I hope that stops it. The sounds come whether I'm running apps or not, whether the phone is unlocked or not.

This is the closest approximation to the sound, but the beeps are shorter (~1 second/each) and come in pairs, pause, 2 more beeps, pause, etc:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: antiprotest

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
This is the calling tone on the speaker and at the end - the short tones - it signals, that the requested connection could not be established.

mk481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
This is the calling tone on the speaker and at the end - the short tones - it signals, that the requested connection could not be established.

The sound I linked is not exact, but that's really odd if so. I didn't have any missed calls on my phone, Google Voice, etc. Would it still make those sounds in that case? The 2 beeps are also very quiet, soft sounds and sound different from a phone call sound.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
this are exactly the sound a phone makes, if you call somebody, it rings and then something goes wrong - no connection made. In olden days you got the calling beep from the destination. Nowadays (from my experience) your phone starts to make the call beep itself and then the quick beeps, if it goes wrong.
Just reset that thing...

Last edited:

mk481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
this are exactly the sound a phone makes, if you call somebody, it rings and then something goes wrong - no connection made. In olden days you got the calling beep from the destination. Nowadays (from my experience) your phone starts to make the call beep itself and then the quick beeps, if it goes wrong.
Just reset that thing...

Yep I reset it and then updated the iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.