Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xrayz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
@This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work with this iPhone"

I am getting this error message pop up 10-20x day on my 6+ for no reason. I updated to 8.0.2 and it's still happening. Happens when I'm using the phone normally with nothing connected. All my cables are straight from Apple. Anybody have a fix?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411943895.593867.jpg

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
This happens when there is a small breakage in the cable, most of the time you can't even see that but it changes the impedance.

Try it on other devices and or get a replacement.

Saffy66

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
NSW, Australia
I saw something about this last night in another thread and apart from Apple trying to limit people to buying their stuff only, it was suggested that a piece of lint or other contaminant may be in the port where the cable goes. If so you may be able to remove it with fine tweezers.

It would explain why it happens when nothing is connected.

Mobilesfun

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
If you’ve ever owned an iOS device, there is a chance that you have come across that gut-wrenching feeling when prompted with the this cable or accessory is not certified error. The error is only thrown at our faces when we try to charge / sync our iOS device using a cable that hasn’t been certified by Apple.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I saw something about this last night in another thread and apart from Apple trying to limit people to buying their stuff only, it was suggested that a piece of lint or other contaminant may be in the port where the cable goes. If so you may be able to remove it with fine tweezers.

It would explain why it happens when nothing is connected.

This was the issue with my iPhone 6. The perfect removal tool turned out to be the plastic toothpick from my Swiss Army Knife. I used it to gently pick out a tiny wad of lint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.