Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Has anybody experienced random kernel panics in macOS Monterey, especially under heavy memory load?

I have 500+ tabs in Chrome and use Parallels Desktop for work. The machine is a 2020 iMac with 64 GB of RAM. Whenever available memory drops below 8 GB, I started seeing tabs with YouTube pages unable to reload on their own, and if I start watching any video, e.g. Amazon Prime or Netflix, I will get a kernel panic sometime after.

I have a dual-monitor setup and powers the external monitor through an eGPU. I have read that some people are experiencing similar kernel panics as well as strange visual artifacts with a dual-monitor setup. Could it be due to changes Apple made to video drivers for the AirPlay to Mac feature?

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
As soon as I went down to around 100 tabs, the kernel panic stopped. It's probably due to underlying changes to eGPU drivers in macOS Monterey (for AirPlay to Mac) because I don't see in Chrome's changelog that they've made significant changes to hardware acceleration in the new versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.