Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentheboatie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Hello, noob to the forums here...

I’ve done a search and not found anything strictly relevant to my circumstances.

I have recently upgraded a mid 2012 pro to a Samsung 1tb SSD and generic battery (good one though), so I have 2 possible causes. I also upgraded the ribbon between the SSD and board as I heard this was an issue.

Event occurs completely randomly. Used to be one a day but getting more frequent.

Where do I begin to troubleshoot? I already tried reseating the ribbon once.

Thanks for any help

B

Bentheboatie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
hi Robvas, thanks for reply

Probably should mention that sometimes it completely powers down and needs reboot, more often it goes into a weird sleep state where it will recover pretty quickly after a short press of the power button - as in there is no “bong” and all the windows that were open can be seen greyed out until it recovers. About 3-4 seconds- with a dashed grey progress bar at the bottom of the screen.

However it does need to be left about 10 secs before you can attempt to restart like this, if you try straight away nothing will happen.

When you say “check” the battery, what am I checking for (without buying a new one!)

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.