Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I have a mix of Aqara movement sensors and light bulbs and some Philips hue bulbs.

Previously I had only Aqara lights and as long as the automation was configured in the Aqara app it worked flawlessly. I set it to turn lights on whenever there was movement and off after x minutes without movement.

But one of the bulbs died and I replaced it with a Philips hue. Then I cannot make automation with the Aqara app, but has to use the Apple Home app… and what a load of c***!

All the lights works and can be turned on/off with the app. Connection is robust enough. Using Apple TV as hub.

But automation is terrible. I can make it turn on light when there’s movement, but turning them off again doesn’t work. I can select turn off after x minutes. Sometimes it turns off even though I’m still in the room. But normally it will just to forget to turn off.

Then I can create a second automation, turning the lights off “when no movement is detected”. The Aqara will send that trigger after one minute without movement, turn the light off and then go “numb” for one minute, not registering if I am still in the room and jump around.

There’s a few more advanced shortcut algorithms out there (like this: https://homekitautomationtips.com/h...-to-turn-on-and-off-your-lights-with-homekit/), that tries to address it, but they don’t work either. Possibly because I have two lamps and two sensors that should work together (either sensor should activate both lights).

The above listed page actually says that apple has solved this with 15.1, but I’m on 16.5.1 and this issue has been there for at least since 15 and I upgraded to new architecture.

It’s only getting worse with each update.

This should really be the most basic home automation task. I mean a 10$ “dumb” sensor and normal light bulb has been able to do this since the 90’s. And do it right: Turn off light x minutes after last movement detected. Not turn off when no movement is detected for 1 minute.

Do you guys see the same? Any advice?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
But one of the bulbs died and I replaced it with a Philips hue. Then I cannot make automation with the Aqara app, but has to use the Apple Home app… and what a load of c***!

Do you guys see the same? Any advice?

The simplest automation I can come up with is to go back to using the Aqara app, bulb(s) and sensors. Get that working again just like it used to.

Then in HomeKit, just add two automations. The first turns the Philips Hue on when the Aqara bulb turns on. The next automation turns the Hue off when the Aqara bulb turns off.

May be slightly laggy, but hopefully this way you've successfully tied the two products together while preserving the Aqara sensor functionality you've been happy with in the past. Hope this helps.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
That sounds like a BRILLIANT workaround! I will test it out. Thanks

… and then I’ll just pray that the other Aqara bulb will not die before apple fixes their s***

• Haha
Reactions: dotme

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
It seems to be working, but seriously Apple. Enforce some standards and make an effort. It is this simple:
IMG_5423.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.