Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentheminernz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
As the title says HomeKit sucks but is excellent. I put tvOS 17 on my apple tv for Facetime and because I forgot to turn off the beta profile :( but for some reason HomeKit auto-selects the most up-to-date home hub as the active home hub, causing everything to break!!! In my theatre room, I use a 4K 2022 Apple TV w/ ethernet so I have matter capable hub on ethernet and for some reason instead of HomeKit picking that one since it does matter it does my matterless 2022 4K Apple TV Wi-Fi with tvOS 17 becomes the homehub and breaks everything including homebridge for some odd reason. The thing that sucks is that I have to put it into another home now so it isn't the home hub and so I can use my homepods as the speaker output. Although now it auto selects that home in control centre and the home app so I don't have quick access to my main home, which before iOS 16 you could disable that, as well as being able to disable an apple tv as a homehub!! I don't get what is with Apple's obsession with deleting genuinely useful features that are now causing their products to be bad. Although the good part of homekit is how reliable and fast it is most of the time. Most of the time there is never an issue and everything just works across all my devices as it should.

If anyone has any fixes for these stupid problems then please reply.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Apple should give you the option which to set as the default hub and also turn off the damn minis as a hub.

my ATV 4K is Ethernet wired too. Yet it often decides to pick one of the 5 HomePod Minis around the house. Then response times for light switches etc slow down quite drastically. Really irritating.

Reactions: uller6

Bentheminernz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Apple should give you the option which to set as the default hub and also turn off the damn minis as a hub.

my ATV 4K is Ethernet wired too. Yet it often decides to pick one of the 5 HomePod Minis around the house. Then response times for light switches etc slow down quite drastically. Really irritating.
I don't get why Apple removed the option to disable an Apple TV as a home hub in the new architecture update. It would be nice to disable the minis as a hub but so far they haven't caused much of a problem.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010

Same here, every time my devices stop responding or go bonkers the HomePod mini all the way in the back of my house (poor reception) is the home hub for some reason…

Bentheminernz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Same here, every time my devices stop responding or go bonkers the HomePod mini all the way in the back of my house (poor reception) is the home hub for some reason…
They just need to fix their order of home hubs. It should be based off of real logic. Most capable devices first with best wifi then least capable with worst wifi at the bottom, surely it can’t be that hard??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.