Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I'm seeing very high battery drain using facetime video under ios11 b7 on iPhone 7 plus . To be fair I can't remember what it was like in ios10 and its happened through the betas but it's in the order of 1pc/min with the phone getting distinctly hot.

Just me? Ios11? Normal?

Reactions: jm010

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I find FaceTime to be a power drain regardless. It is running the screen, camera, speakers, microphone and wifi all at once so it kind of makes sense. I can't speak to iOS 11 because while I do have the public beta on one of my devices, I haven't used FaceTime on that device specifically.

Reactions: Chazzle

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I'm seeing very high battery drain using facetime video under ios11 b7 on iPhone 7 plus . To be fair I can't remember what it was like in ios10 and its happened through the betas but it's in the order of 1pc/min with the phone getting distinctly hot.

Just me? Ios11? Normal?
Yeah, FaceTime has been a hog for a long time. Until data compression makes significant advancements, I don’t see that changing soon. There’s just a lot going on during a call, like the previous commenter said.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have just finished a 20 minutes Skype video call, which drained 20% of the iPhone SE battery running PB6. Now sure how this compares to FaceTime or WhatsApp video calls. Apple should be optimising iOS 11 further over the next few weeks, so we’ll see what it is like in GM.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
OK thanks..
I'll play around on my next few calls as the other party also has whatsapp and facebook.

Or actuality in some cases I can use on Mac (last week's new toy!)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just start using FaceTime video call recently and immediately notice this issue. Super annoying. Forces me to carry a battery pack each time making a phone call, or charge the device.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
I see the same issue even on iOS 10. I think it's more of a video call issue in general. As someone said above, even Skype drains 20% in 20 minutes.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Even in startrek they dont use/have video calls on their personal devices.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Not an excuse, it's a "fact" when it comes to betas, bud

( debug mode ? )
Explain the “fact” that FaceTime drains your battery as much on 10.3.3, and you can make your point. I’ve been achieving better battery life overall on the most recent beta than I did on 10.3.3, but FaceTime will continue to be a battery hog because of everything that’s involved with it.

I suppose the fact that debugging can be running on the beta means that must be the only culprit for poor battery life.

If you have a response that’s more informative than “that’s just how betas work,” please share.

Reactions: Dave-Z

tim riley

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020

Just me? Ios11? Normal?
I have an Iphone 6 and I had the battery replaced last year and i never had this problem before but no it goes from 100% to 10% in 10 minutes on Facetime if i'm not plugged in. The Battery is in perfect shape according to my menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.