Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like the embargo has been lifted with the 13th Gen processors.

My only question regarding the 13th gen - why now? They just released Alder lake last year, but add in supply chain woes that we were living with, it was hard to get some of the components.

So it seems like the reviews have been positive but obliviously one of the negatives is the cost of entry.

Ars Technica
Toms Hardware
Anandtech

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Well it is faster than Zen 4....
The heat issue has seemingly not gotten worse though it still runs toasty

I know they needed to roll out a response, which is good for us consumers, still I thought this was funny

1666276554107.png

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That's not even an option for people in parts of the world with skyrocketing energy cost. CPU alone uses more power than my whole system with 5950x + RX6800 under load (~310W).

1666292932542.png

1666292901467.png

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
That's not even an option for people in parts of the world with skyrocketing energy cost.
The same argument can certainly be made for Ryzen 7 as AMD is taking a page out of Intel's playbook and their CPUs power requirements have increased quite a bit with each iteration.

If you are living in a location where you have to decide on low power PCs because of energy costs, then you as a consumer have larger problems and current gen computers are certainly not for you.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Looks like the embargo has been lifted with the 13th Gen processors.

My only question regarding the 13th gen - why now? They just released Alder lake last year, but add in supply chain woes that we were living with, it was hard to get some of the components.

So it seems like the reviews have been positive but obliviously one of the negatives is the cost of entry.

Ars Technica
Toms Hardware
Anandtech

Their old cadence was every year so maybe back to normal now.

Cost on both Zen 4 and Raptor Lake is steep but AMD users can more easily reuse their motherboards if they stick to Zen 3. My understanding is that Intel is aggressively pricing Raptor Lake CPUs but the problem is RAM, Motherboard, PSU, and cooler. It's perplexing as to what to do if you want or need a new system and money is a factor.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The same argument can certainly be made for Ryzen 7 as AMD is taking a page out of Intel's playbook and their CPUs power requirements have increased quite a bit with each iteration.

If you are living in a location where you have to decide on low power PCs because of energy costs, then you as a consumer have larger problems and current gen computers are certainly not for you.

There are many that just want to run efficiently as there are benefits to that besides just the savings in power costs. Electricity, Natural Gas prices in my state have doubled this past year. Gasoline prices have gone up but they have come down quite a bit. Additional heat requires energy for cooling during the summer and it can reduce the life of computer components.

We use far less energy than we used to thanks to more efficient vehicles, more efficient HVAC, switching to LED lightbulbs about 15 years ago, and more efficient appliances.

I want to see where gamers can run in the so-called Eco mode for both Zen 4 and Raptor Lake. That may be acceptable on power use though the costs outside the CPU are an issue too. Intel's next gen is reportedly more power efficient so it may be better to just wait another year. My guess is that we'll be in recession next summer which may help with costs (computer components and energy).

Reactions: Donfor39

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There are many that just want to run efficiently as there are benefits to that besides just the savings in power costs. Electricity, Natural Gas prices in my state have doubled this past year. Gasoline prices have gone up but they have come down quite a bit. Additional heat requires energy for cooling during the summer and it can reduce the life of computer components.

We use far less energy than we used to thanks to more efficient vehicles, more efficient HVAC, switching to LED lightbulbs about 15 years ago, and more efficient appliances.

I want to see where gamers can run in the so-called Eco mode for both Zen 4 and Raptor Lake. That may be acceptable on power use though the costs outside the CPU are an issue too. Intel's next gen is reportedly more power efficient so it may be better to just wait another year. My guess is that we'll be in recession next summer which may help with costs (computer components and energy).
Games don't pull that much power so the eco modes aren't really needed (IMO). Folks running blender on CPU probably want to look into the eco modes though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
There are many that just want to run efficiently as there are benefits to that besides just the savings in power costs.
Oh I'm sure, I used my laptop all summer instead of my desktop, simply because it draws less power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.