Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I'm completely new to Raspberry Pi and am a somewhat technical person but don't have much experience with setting up something like this, but have some questions about a couple things.

I've got my Pi 4 setup and working fine on Raspbian with Homebridge and so far it seems nearly flawless compared to when I tried to do the same thing last year on my iMac. Not sure if the software is better or what, but I love the web UI for Homebridge now.

Anyway, I've got a 4TB and 6TB external WD USB 3.0 drives that I'd like to hook up to it that are formatted ExFAT, and one has a macOS Extended partition for Time Machine. Will I be able to get these working with the Pi or will I need to format them to something else? Is there a guide that someone can point me to that explains how to do everything step by step to set it up as a file server? My initial searches were kinda all over the place. If I have to drop support for the Time Machine, that's fine, and I have a spare drive that I could potentially keep around and plug into my iMac when I want to run backups for that.

I figured a Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM should be enough to handle things which is why I went for more RAM, though I thought 8GB seemed like overkill. Just didn't want to be limited. It won't be a heavy duty file server as it will mainly be for archival storage when I need to get some old photos or project or move old stuff off my iMac so the drive won't fill up. I'll probably only use it a couple times a week to grab things here and there, but when I do dump stuff to it in bulk off my SSDs (maybe once every month or two) it can be a couple hundred gigs at a time when I take a lot of 42MP RAW photos that I want to back up.

With the case and fan I have ($99 Canakit from Amazon) the fan is kinda loud. I switched it from the 5V pins to the 3.3V pins and that reduced it by 15dB, but things are really quiet in my studio and I can still usually hear it over the fans in my iMac even though it's twice as far. I might route an ethernet cable into a closet at some point to set it up there, but can anyone recommend good 30x30mm fans that are really quiet? The current one is 7nm deep but it might go up to 10mm. Right now just running HomeBridge it stays around 115F most of the time on the slower fan speed. Is that good? I also have some little heat sinks on the chips. Without the fan it's in the low 120s. With the fan on 5V it's around 105F. But like I mentioned above, I'm also wanting to turn it into a file server, so I think eventually it will need the cooling cranked back up for that. Does it exist? Everything I see online looks like copies of the one I have and seem really inexpensive ($5-$8). I'd be willing to spend $25 or so on a really quiet, efficient little fan though.

Thanks!

Reactions: jrichards1408

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I know that ExFAT volumes work without fuss on Raspbian once you've installed exfat-fuse packages. I have an external USB HDD that I share between Raspbian and LibreELEC (Kodi) on the same Raspberry Pi 4. In fact LibreELEC had ExFAT support built-in and enabled by default.

HFS support is also available. Linux support for both filesystems has been around for over twenty years.

As for using your Raspberry Pi as a Time Machine host, have you seen this?

I don't know how people do their Internet searches in 2020. People were more capable at Internet searching 5-10 years ago. I do realize that a lot of people don't bother STFW and just wait for results to be spoonfed to them by human search engines, just like they did 15-20 years ago.

I used "raspberry pi time machine" as my parameters on DuckDuckGo and this was the #2 result.

As for the fan noise, I have no suggestion. I am using the exact same Canakit bundle from Amazon and have the fan running at low speed. My tired old ears can't hear it if I'm farther than 4-5 feet away.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I know that ExFAT volumes work without fuss on Raspbian once you've installed exfat-fuse packages. I have an external USB HDD that I share between Raspbian and LibreELEC (Kodi) on the same Raspberry Pi 4. In fact LibreELEC had ExFAT support built-in and enabled by default.

HFS support is also available. Linux support for both filesystems has been around for over twenty years.

As for using your Raspberry Pi as a Time Machine host, have you seen this?

I don't know how people do their Internet searches in 2020. People were more capable at Internet searching 5-10 years ago. I do realize that a lot of people don't bother STFW and just wait for results to be spoonfed to them by human search engines, just like they did 15-20 years ago.

I used "raspberry pi time machine" as my parameters on DuckDuckGo and this was the #2 result.

As for the fan noise, I have no suggestion. I am using the exact same Canakit bundle from Amazon and have the fan running at low speed. My tired old ears can't hear it if I'm farther than 4-5 feet away.
Thanks. I hadn't really searched for the time machine bit yet (just threw it in there with my other stuff to see if anyone has had any experiences with it, reliability, etc), but was having trouble making sense of the results for the server stuff because it seemed like a lot of the results were about creating media servers and a lot of people just buy NAS devices for files. But I figured this thing should be more powerful than most NAS within a reasonable price range and then I won't have to buy new drives to put in it. I'm really new to this stuff so wasn't even sure what I needed to get going. Some of the results were really outdated as well for older pis and versions of raspbian. Some others were recommending installing another OS which I wasn't sure about since I have Homebridge running nicely.

That's really convenient timing of that article, lol. I haven't read that site since the early 2000s when I used to build PCs and was a bit more technically inclined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.