Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Raspberry Pi Flashing with Etcher Raspbian it has been going trying over 3 hours?:(
I have a 5k 2017. IMAC surely it should take a lot less time than that on my Mac?
Also i tried the Raspberry pi flasher that came up with errors when it finished verifying:(And i tried that twice?
How long would it take on the M1 Mac?it has just failed again :(

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've used Etcher before on my 13" MBP (Intel) and it just took a few minutes. You have something wrong there. Could it be that your SD card is bad?

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I've used Etcher before on my 13" MBP (Intel) and it just took a few minutes. You have something wrong there. Could it be that your SD card is bad?
It took over 50 minutes and it came out with the same result :( done on the Raspberry Imager
*Verifying write falled ,contents of SD card is different with what was written to it*
I was using the CALDIGIT Thunderbolt 3 dock . According to one reviewer on youtube said the SD card slot on the dock is one of the fastest .
The SD card was a brand new one unused.What does it all mean?:(
It seems like a lot of people are having the same problem.Why is it working on my USB Flash drive?
Of course i can,t use it on the Pi as you have to start with a SD card first then update the firmware to make it work with USB and SSD,s.
This guy got it to work with Raspbian i didn,t :(
Specifically, the error message reads "Verifying write failed. Contents of SD card is different then(than?)what was written to it." I know that the imager does work. I got it to install Raspbian without issue.
I hope someone can help me with it, other wise i can,t use my Pi which i have not used yet.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It took over 50 minutes and it came out with the same result :( done on the Raspberry Imager
*Verifying write falled ,contents of SD card is different with what was written to it*
I was using the CALDIGIT Thunderbolt 3 dock . According to one reviewer on youtube said the SD card slot on the dock is one of the fastest .
The SD card was a brand new one unused.What does it all mean?:(
If the SD card was unused, it’s likely not in the correct format. I’ve always had luck using SD Formatter before writing images, don’t know if it’s available for Mac though.

Edit: Apparently it is: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Format the card with this first, THEN try etcher again.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I believe Etcher formats the drive for you.
I know it’s supposed to, but whenever I’ve run into issues with the built-in formatting, I run it through the SD consortium’s formatter THEN run the program and most of the time it works out.

It’s a no cost troubleshooting step so it might be worth it anyway. ?‍♂️

Reactions: Weaselboy

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I believe Etcher formats the drive for you.
Thats what i thought.I am doing it again on Echer it has been going over 50 minutes all ready and only on 48% ,i never thought i wouldGET this problem before i have even used the PI. :(

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Thats what i thought.I am doing it again on Echer it has been going over 50 minutes all ready and only on 48% ,i never thought i wouldGET this problem before i have even used the PI. :(
Give my suggestion a shot. Idk why but it has gotten me unstuck several times in the past.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
If the SD card was unused, it’s likely not in the correct format. I’ve always had luck using SD Formatter before writing images, don’t know if it’s available for Mac though.

Edit: Apparently it is: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Format the card with this first, THEN try etcher again.
Thanks for that NT :)That did not work i could see it flashing as i used the micro card reader it took one hour :( i just used the basic format i am going for the full over write format now.i am really peed of with it all.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: NT1440

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Maybe try one of those cheap USB SD card folders and see if that works. That would bypass the dock.
I have got one of thouse with the pi ,i can,t see anything wrong with the dock i have only had it about 3 months.I don,t think that is the problem any way with a lot of people having the same problem.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Give my suggestion a shot. Idk why but it has gotten me unstuck several times in the past.
I don,t know why they don,t drop the SD card for a SSD one out of the box that would be a good update for a new PI..

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don,t know why they don,t drop the SD card for a SSD one out of the box that would be a good update for a new PI..
I think it’s really the convenience of being able to deploy dozens of units in a classroom environment by simply setting up the SD cards by cloning an image.

The Raspberry Pi is a huge educational market

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I joined a PI forum and asked on there. From what they said on there I came to the conclusion they were fake SD cards i did read about it on the web sometime ago.A lot of them on Ebay and even on Amazon.:(I got my cards sometime ago so cant get a refund.But i see you can get a SD checker to see if they are fake or not.But it is only for Windows no problem as i have VMWARE FUSION.People on Ebay don,t check the SD cards beforre they give a good review.Where is the best place to get genuine SD cards?I the ones i got look genuine Samsung and Sanisk.Where ever i buy them in the future i will check if they are genuine or not with this H2testw
i did not realise the lettering was different.
I had a SD card which i used with PI3 I thought i would try that and see if that would flash and it did in no time.:)

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I think it’s really the convenience of being able to deploy dozens of units in a classroom environment by simply setting up the SD cards by cloning an image.

The Raspberry Pi is a huge educational market
That is so true. :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Raspberry Pi Flashing with Etcher Raspbian it has been going trying over 3 hours?:(
I have a 5k 2017. IMAC surely it should take a lot less time than that on my Mac?
Also i tried the Raspberry pi flasher that came up with errors when it finished verifying:(And i tried that twice?
How long would it take on the M1 Mac?it has just failed again :(
I have had issues with Etcher being flaky since Catalina.

Just copy and paste this in terminal and see if it works better for you. If Balena Etcher is installed in your application folder.

sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher

I began looking for resolutions when a half dozen Mac Etcher flashes took an extremely long time or timed out completely but my Windows computer would flash very quick and perfectly.
Also for Windows folks, Rufus is a great little program to have in your toolbox of apps.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Thats
I have had issues with Etcher being flaky since Catalina.

Just copy and paste this in terminal and see if it works better for you. If Balena Etcher is installed in your application folder.

sudo /Applications/balenaEtcher.app/Contents/MacOS/balenaEtcher

I began looking for resolutions when a half dozen Mac Etcher flashes took an extremely long time or timed out completely but my Windows computer would flash very quick and perfectly.
Also for Windows folks, Rufus is a great little program to have in your toolbox of apps.
Thanks for that :)I have VMWARE fusion so i well do it on Windows i intend to use Berry Boot and adding Latest OS Images to a flash drive.The other thing is i have a 64gb SD card which i understand you have to format a different way to one that is 32gb or under.Plus the fact is easier to test the sd cards on there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.