Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yana_ab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Hey guys,
the mute switch on my iPhone 8+ is slightly loose and when I shake my phone I can hear the mute switch rattling. It only rattles when the switch is in the “loud” position.

It does not affect the phones performance at all but my OCD can’t handle this annoying rattling noise. Does anyone else has the same problem?
Thanks in advance :)

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
You sure it is the switch and not the lens in the camera? I thought I had something loose inside my iPhone 6 when I first got it but soon figured out that the lens inside the camera is not fixed (duh, it can focus afterall).

Yana_ab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Yes I’m 100% sure it’s the mute switch. I tried shaking the phone while covering the button with my finger and there was no rattling sound.
Also if the switch is in the mute position the rattling sound disappears...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you shake your phone often I would try letting Apple look at it. I have had past iPhone with a slightly loose switch but they never made a noise but then I never shook it either.

Yana_ab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Apple already checked the phone. They said it’s normal they also checked the other iPhones in the store for the rattling noise but mine was the only phone that made that noise.

I know it’s not a big deal but the rattling noise annoys me. L
PS: I’m still in the honey moon phase with my phone which is not helping my OCD lol

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple already checked the phone. They said it’s normal they also checked the other iPhones in the store for the rattling noise but mine was the only phone that made that noise.

I know it’s not a big deal but the rattling noise annoys me. L
PS: I’m still in the honey moon phase with my phone which is not helping my OCD lol

If it bothers you and you are still on "honeymoon", replace it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hey guys,
the mute switch on my iPhone 8+ is slightly loose and when I shake my phone I can hear the mute switch rattling. It only rattles when the switch is in the “loud” position.

It does not affect the phones performance at all but my OCD can’t handle this annoying rattling noise. Does anyone else has the same problem?

Its Not uncommon for there to be a slight tolerance of play or rattle I play with mute switch. It’s that way with my previous iPhones and the iPhone SE all had a slight rattle. It’s a non-issue, unless it worsens.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
My 6s mute switch has a slight rattle which I didn't even notice until I read this thread and shook it :) I'm not too worried about it.

rsmits

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2018
Hey guys,

Same issue with my new iPhone 8 Plus. The mute button rattles a little, but the biggest problem is that it switches to mute automatically during normal use, whenever I move the phone. I definitely need to have this fixed. I can imagine your phone will start doing the same soon.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Same issue with my new iPhone 8 Plus. The mute button rattles a little, but the biggest problem is that it switches to mute automatically during normal use, whenever I move the phone. I definitely need to have this fixed. I can imagine your phone will start doing the same soon.

I have had multiple iPhones that the mute switch was slightly loose and none have all of a sudden muted accidentally. If yours does that, it is broken, and should be replaced. Slightly loose mute switches are pretty common and not an issue to most.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I second @Newtons Apple - same experience here. Experienced this on a few devices.

If you are still in the return window and want to check out a different phone - do that, just be advised it happened to others as well, so it might be common.

rsmits

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2018
I have had multiple iPhones that the mute switch was slightly loose and none have all of a sudden muted accidentally. If yours does that, it is broken, and should be replaced. Slightly loose mute switches are pretty common and not an issue to most.
Mute button just got totally stuck today, but when shaking the device I still hear the rattle. When placing my finger on the button and shake there is no rattle. Just applied for Apple service.

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2018
Yes I’m 100% sure it’s the mute switch. I tried shaking the phone while covering the button with my finger and there was no rattling sound.
Also if the switch is in the mute position the rattling sound disappears...

My iPhone 8 Plus mute switch is firm and does not at all rattle.

Stay classy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mute button just got totally stuck today, but when shaking the device I still hear the rattle. When placing my finger on the button and shake there is no rattle. Just applied for Apple service.

The rattle is really nothing to be that concerned of. Many my iPhone models have exhibited this, especially with the iPhone SE. Its because there is a slight play of tolerance with the mute switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.