Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is on a PC running W10.
It seems like on an external USB drive, consisting of 2 partitions, I‘ve Lost accessibility and I get a message trying to access either partition, drive not ready. I first noticed it when trying to creat a new Acronis True Image Backup. The backup failed. I could not find a repair disk command in Disk Management So I cranked up CHKDSK to check both partitions and got the message CHKDSK is not compatibke with RAW File structures. Now when I look at these partitions under Disk Management , they both show NTFS and healthy starus. I can see the top levels of these partitions and can see folders at the top, but when I try to dig down, I can’t and get the device not ready message,

I’ve not seen this before. I tried a data recovery tool, but it showed 0 to recover. I’m wondering what could have triggered this? Could AcroniscTrue Image be involved? And is the data there or not, Disk Management says there is data there as far as a total number of GBs, but if something happened to the file structure, I doubt I can recover this data,
Thanks!

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well my hard drive is in the process of dying. It’s gone from registering under Disk Management, to showing as a mystery disk, no longer registering as a device under my PC. Done some research no way to revive it, format it, and I ran a third party tool on it, which found no recoverable data. Fortunately this is used for gaming and nothing on there was irreplaceable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.