Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hi folks,

Planning on picking up an iPad Pro 11” tomorrow. Wandering if anyone can speak to the raw support in photos on iOS 12?

I currently shoot with a canon 6D, and edit in photos on macOS. I’m hoping the iPad means i can leave my MacBook at home going forward. Generally I only need support to adjust exposure and shadows. I have found macOS photos support to be sufficient.

Ideally, I can offload photos via a usb-c SD card adapter, edit and have them sync into iCloud. Documentation on apples side seems thin.

Thanks

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I’m currently on the 10.5 ipp and use it as my primary editing device. Raw files load to iPhoto, I delete files I know I’ll never keep and then open Lightroom cc. Edit images in LR and post to social media or send to print from there.

I’m using a Sony a7 but have used a 5d2 and d710 raw files as well with no issue. Only bummer is being forced to use iPhoto but it’s easy to work with.
[doublepost=1541930365][/doublepost]Additionally since it’s turned into my primary editing device I ordered a new 12.9 ipp with pencil. I rarely ever use my MacBook Pro anymore so the added screen size will be helpful for some video editing and for some stuff in LR on files I plan to print.

Reactions: Azathoth123

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I process all my photos with Lightroom on my 12.9 iPad Pro (2nd gen). The most annoying thing about the workflow however is the fact that Apple forces all photo imports into the Photos app which then starts uploading them all to iCloud. I then import from Photos to LR. Then I have to go back and delete the raw files from Photos, made more difficult as Apple removed the “Last Import” album (why???). Plus there is no filter that shows just raw photos. Extremely annoying!

What I want is to be able to import the raw files directly into LR, process and cull, then output the final jpegs to the Photos app and sync with iCloud. Nice and simple.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I process all my photos with Lightroom on my 12.9 iPad Pro (2nd gen). The most annoying thing about the workflow however is the fact that Apple forces all photo imports into the Photos app which then starts uploading them all to iCloud. I then import from Photos to LR. Then I have to go back and delete the raw files from Photos, made more difficult as Apple removed the “Last Import” album (why???). Plus there is no filter that shows just raw photos. Extremely annoying!

What I want is to be able to import the raw files directly into LR, process and cull, then output the final jpegs to the Photos app and sync with iCloud. Nice and simple.

Just a thought...Wouldn’t it be simpler to just put iPad into airplane mode first, THEN import photos, review, edit, delete, etc. Then when you are done w/ your workflow you could take it out of airplane mode and let photo/icloud run it’s course?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
made more difficult as Apple removed the “Last Import” album (why???)

Can't you use the "Imports" album? It groups them by date they were imported, and you can quite easily select all the photos that were imported together the same way you'd select a whole moment in moments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.