Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigAppleLover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
San Francisco
Hi all - I am trying to find out if the graphics card on my iMac (AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB) is "DXR Compliant". I use a 3D rendering program called Twinmotion and it offers something called "Path Tracing" which I believe is similar to Ray Tracing. As of now Epic Games who makes Twinmotion does not offer the capability on a Mac but they say it is possible if I install Bootcamp. I was considering installing Bootcamp but thought I should see if my graphics card would suffice before going through all that. Thank you in advance for any help on this!

Link to article re: Path Tracing on iMac: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/article/Path-Tracer-Requirements?language=en_US

My graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

Specifically on how to install on iMac from the article:

How can I use Path Tracing on my Apple computer?

The only way you can do this is if you use an Intel-based Apple computer and you use Bootcamp to load Windows. You will also need an eGPU that supports DXR as the AMD-based GPUs in Apple computers are not likely to be DXR compliant. Your other option is to use your Apple computer to create the Twinmotion project and then open the project on a powerful Windows computer with a DXR GPU and render it there."

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hi all - I am trying to find out if the graphics card on my iMac (AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB) is "DXR Compliant". I use a 3D rendering program called Twinmotion and it offers something called "Path Tracing" which I believe is similar to Ray Tracing. As of now Epic Games who makes Twinmotion does not offer the capability on a Mac but they say it is possible if I install Bootcamp. I was considering installing Bootcamp but thought I should see if my graphics card would suffice before going through all that. Thank you in advance for any help on this!

Link to article re: Path Tracing on iMac: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/article/Path-Tracer-Requirements?language=en_US

My graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

Specifically on how to install on iMac from the article:

How can I use Path Tracing on my Apple computer?

The only way you can do this is if you use an Intel-based Apple computer and you use Bootcamp to load Windows. You will also need an eGPU that supports DXR as the AMD-based GPUs in Apple computers are not likely to be DXR compliant. Your other option is to use your Apple computer to create the Twinmotion project and then open the project on a powerful Windows computer with a DXR GPU and render it there."
It isn't. For AMD only the 6000 series cards are DXR compliant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.