Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve had a an RTX 2070 card for couple of years now, and have never really tried to make a comparison in any game I’ve played with it on or off. Maybe I have a subconscious block that my in-game graphics look good enough, or that RT has associated overhead that effects frames, and I even thought it might have been an automatic, default on feature. I guess I should look into this. :oops:

I’ve got 2 candidate games, Cyberpunk2077 and Witcher 3, if I discover something personally, I’ll report back. in the meantime, the biggest difference seems to be in the quality of reflections. At this point I see a subtle difference in images, and videos, and not sure how much of a performance hit (if there is any) that I would accept.

7B0AFCC7-57D3-4124-AE9D-9761F3E7E308.jpeg

Really nice reflections in the water, but if it was not side by side, would you miss it?
Maybe. :D

849CB0B1-11EB-497B-9808-8C84BA0FF300.jpeg

1F4FA7D5-946D-41F5-BDBD-EEEBC62C4B8A.jpeg

This image, really not much difference. Maybe in game it would be more significant depending on several factors such as Card and monitor. I’ve had a 4k monitor for several years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve had a an RTX 2070

I played with RT and watched a bunch of videos and my opinion is that Cyberpunk isn't a great game to test RT on. Not because its a bad game, but the opposite, it doesn't a fantastic job of lighting w/o ray tracing that the user experience is just as good with and without RT.

I have a poky RTX 2060 Super on my desktop and I played some games that use it, and the changes to the visuals wasn't enough to justify the hit to FPS. Even with the 30 series RTX cards, I think people like myself choose to keep it off. The 4090, is probably the only card right now, where you can max out the visuals and play with fantastic FPS

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played with RT and watched a bunch of videos and my opinion is that Cyberpunk isn't a great game to test RT on. Not because its a bad game, but the opposite, it doesn't a fantastic job of lighting w/o ray tracing that the user experience is just as good with and without RT.

I have a poky RTX 2060 Super on my desktop and I played some games that use it, and the changes to the visuals wasn't enough to justify the hit to FPS. Even with the 30 series RTX cards, I think people like myself choose to keep it off. The 4090, is probably the only card right now, where you can max out the visuals and play with fantastic FPS
Thank you! I thought there was overhead associated with the effect. And while I see a difference side by side, I don’t miss it when it’s not there, but maybe eventually I will. :)

Reactions: Irishman

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I’ve got 2 candidate games, Cyberpunk2077 and Witcher 3, if I discover something personally, I’ll report back.
How about the RTX versions of Portal and Quake 2? They should show bigger differences between RTX on and off because being older games they aren't as good at faking it.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see a difference side by side, I don’t miss it
For me, its just an improvement on lighting effects and not actual image fidelity. That is, it does not improve the image, but rather how light act/reacts in the foreground and background

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I don't really notice RT during game play. Once in a while I'll just roam in night city and notice details. I leave it off because for some reason, I have unlimited jump height with RT off. Not sure if it's a bug.... but when RT is on, my jump is normal with the cyberware I have installed. I would prefer to leave it on since my fps and game play are fine with my 3090... but the unlimited jump height is fun... and I'm able to get to places I can't normally get to with the normal jump.

Reactions: maflynn and Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Nvidia, why am I getting better raytracing performance on a PS5 versus my RTX 3060? Seriously I can get 1440p60 on my PS5 with raytracing on, but not my PC?!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Spider-Man Remastered for example. On my PC I can't get 60 FPS with raytracing on with a 3060, yet I can get 60 FPS with raytracing on with my PS5. So what the hell Nvidia?
ahhh, yeah the settings are not the same between the PC and PS5 version. IIRC the PS5 version isn't native 1440p either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.