Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
typing experience on the 2020 models?
I have the advanced 2019 model, with the optical keyboard. I think for me, part of the problem is that I was spoiled with the ThinkPad keyboard. I find the key travel to be a bit short, and the keyboard is quite clicky. I love mechanical switches that are clicky on regular keyboards, but the clicky-ness on the laptop seems somewhat off-putting.

Other then travel, I find the keyboard to be pretty good typing wise, its lighting is very much superior to my Thinkpad, and I don't mean changing colors or patterns, but rather brightness. I found the thinkpad's backlighting to be too weak when in darker conditions, the Razer has no issues with brightness.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I have the advanced 2019 model, with the optical keyboard. I think for me, part of the problem is that I was spoiled with the ThinkPad keyboard. I find the key travel to be a bit short, and the keyboard is quite clicky. I love mechanical switches that are clicky on regular keyboards, but the clicky-ness on the laptop seems somewhat off-putting.

Other then travel, I find the keyboard to be pretty good typing wise, its lighting is very much superior to my Thinkpad, and I don't mean changing colors or patterns, but rather brightness. I found the thinkpad's backlighting to be too weak when in darker conditions, the Razer has no issues with brightness.
Thank you very much for this input. I know the right shift key wound up being the deal breaker for me, but overall, I remember the key travel feeling off too. Enjoyed the machine otherwise, but if I buy another Razor, may need an external keyboard.

At the moment, I am circling an MSI Raider (for the onboard RAM and SSD size) and it's a $100 cheaper than the Razer Base 15. Sure, anything with a 2070 card is probably extreme overkill, but a gaming laptop is the smarter choice for the amount of multitasking I need to do for work and personal fun stuff.

I am glad your Razer suits your needs.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020

I have the 7th gen X1 Carbon (we've talked a lot about Windows laptops in the past - I'm locked out of my old Macrumors account so this is a new one!), and while the keyboard is amazing, after a year of use I'm pretty disappointed with its terrible trackpad. Also, the case looks like someone ate their dinner off it, it's so hard to keep clean. I think I would now be willing to compromise on the keyboard quality for a better body. My retired 2011 MacBook Pro looks absolutely brand new on the outside, thanks to the aluminium body.

I think in future I'll be sticking to a metal-body laptop, so I'm starting to keep my eye on the Razer Blade! I know the black version is a fingerprint magnet, but at least being coated metal it should be easy to clean. I like their Mercury White editions too, but they only seem to be available in a very limited number of configurations.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I have the 7th gen X1 Carbon (we've talked a lot about Windows laptops in the past - I'm locked out of my old Macrumors account so this is a new one!), and while the keyboard is amazing, after a year of use I'm pretty disappointed with its terrible trackpad. Also, the case looks like someone ate their dinner off it, it's so hard to keep clean. I think I would now be willing to compromise on the keyboard quality for a better body. My retired 2011 MacBook Pro looks absolutely brand new on the outside, thanks to the aluminium body.

I think in future I'll be sticking to a metal-body laptop, so I'm starting to keep my eye on the Razer Blade! I know the black version is a fingerprint magnet, but at least being coated metal it should be easy to clean. I like their Mercury White editions too, but they only seem to be available in a very limited number of configurations.

True, thinkpad chassis always looks terrible. But I like that it is really rugged and durable. And I do like the feel of it.
Now I can't stand aluminium chassis. But for what it's worth, I find magnesium (Surface Book for example) chassis to be in the middle of the road. It's really great to look at, doesn't get smudged at all, look like aluminium, but feels like thinkpads chassis. I would pick that one way before any other material.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
True, thinkpad chassis always looks terrible. But I like that it is really rugged and durable. And I do like the feel of it.
Now I can't stand aluminium chassis. But for what it's worth, I find magnesium (Surface Book for example) chassis to be in the middle of the road. It's really great to look at, doesn't get smudged at all, look like aluminium, but feels like thinkpads chassis. I would pick that one way before any other material.
Yeah the surface (!) of the Surface Book does look and feel quite nice.

How does the Razer Blade feel? I know the black is obviously a coating, and I've seen reports it can chip, revealing a very bright silver chassis underneath?

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
I've likened the looks of the thinkpads to that of a minivan. Not sexy, but it gets the job done.
Ha, yes! But... I dunno. It's 2020. That weird matte black finish might be part of the Cult of the ThinkPad (I did annoy them on Reddit when I asked about it!), but unless you're some kind of road warrior who takes it into unusual or dirty situations (maybe related to engineering, or science, etc), it looks a bit poor to take out a dirty black laptop at a business meeting.

I've actually ordered a dbrand skin for mine to try and solve the cleaning issue!

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I love the look of a new ThinkPad but that ruberized coating sure does get absolutely hideous by the end of their useful life. I had a few 10-25 years old ThinkPads. The coating gets gummy, flaky, hazy, all sorts of odd characteristics. My old PowerBooks looked very fresh still. Metal isn't particularly comfy but it sure does wear well. Easy to clean too (I have gross sweaty hands). Definitely love the Surface Book magnesium more than anything else I've had my hands on. Too bad I wont allow myself to own one!

How does the Razer Blade feel? I know the black is obviously a coating, and I've seen reports it can chip, revealing a very bright silver chassis underneath?

To me the Razer feels closer to pre-retina MacBooks but more square. It's obviously metal, but very matte and there's something I find hard to describe. It doesn't quite feel like other aluminum laptops. Kind of remind me of some of my stereo equipment? There's something 'hifi' about them. The exception being they feel lighter than their appearance would suggest.

Chips are easy and do look awful though, also super fingerprinty. The Mercury White one should hide anything like that though.

-

I haven't found myself playing games on my desktop that I was so jazzed about. Was eyeballing a Razer Blade base to replace the MBP. Maybe I should get rid of them both and get me that 17" juggernaut of a laptop they have now.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
To me the Razer feels closer to pre-retina MacBooks but more square. It's obviously metal, but very matte and there's something I find hard to describe. It doesn't quite feel like other aluminum laptops. Kind of remind me of some of my stereo equipment? There's something 'hifi' about them. The exception being they feel lighter than their appearance would suggest.

Chips are easy and do look awful though, also super fingerprinty. The Mercury White one should hide anything like that though.
The Mercury White does look great, but it's only available in a limited number of the configs (and the Razer website is a bit hard to navigate at that point, so it seems like pot luck!).

I guess the fingerprints on the black model are, at least, easy to clean off, given the type of surface it is. Unlike my X1C, which is basically permanently stained (and I do look after it!).

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I have no idea to be honest. Never owned a Razer, never even used one.
@maflynn can help you out in this one :)

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
@maflynn can help you out in this one :)
yep :)
The Razer feels premium and solid. Its very Mac like in that sense. The finish can and does show fingerprints and it is possible to scratch the finish. To date, I have no scratches so I'm not saying its easy, but it is possible.

If I were to compare the finish of my Thinkpad to that of the Razer, the Razer wins out, and I actually had some of that "rubberized" finish scratch off of the Thinkpad. So the Thinkpad's finish appears to be more fragile.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah the surface (!) of the Surface Book does look and feel quite nice.

I have the mercury white advance and the finish and feel is closer to surface book than my wife's MB 12", that feels more slippery :)

The edges are very squared/sharp and my OLED screen is recessed in to the frame by a fraction which protects it some what but makes edge swipes awkward at times

The long feet make it easy to use say on coffee tables where a simple 4 point support would end up 3 or 2

Of course I do not have finger print issues or scratch worry's to the same degree with black models but after a week or two grime from sweaty palms builds up

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
With the grime and fingerprints, etc, I'm assuming the black Razer cleans fairly easily? This is my issue with my X1C - it now seems to be permanently grimy. It's clean, certainly, but then in the right light, you can still see the discolouration of the palm rests, and fingerprints on the lid.

I've actually just received a dbrand skin kit for it, so hopefully that'll solve my grime issue until this machine is retired for something in metal!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With the grime and fingerprints, etc, I'm assuming the black Razer cleans fairly easily?
I wouldn't say grime, just that its fingerprints that wipe off easy enough. The Razer has a smooth black (if that's the model you pick) pain. I don't think its anodized but rather painted.

I've actually just received a dbrand skin kit for it
My desire of a brand is less for the fingerprints and more about adding a bit of design/color and protecting the finish from scratches

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
My desire of a brand is less for the fingerprints and more about adding a bit of design/color and protecting the finish from scratches
Well, my dbrand skin is carbon fibre red, with black swarm palmrest and a matte red trackpad, so my X1C is certainly going to look different when I'm done!

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.