Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I really like the sound of this keyboard (pun intended, but the liking concerns more than only the sound). But Razer seems to have a very strange pre-config strategy. When I want this keyboard, I seem to be forced into getting 32gb RAM and 512 ssd, amongst others. Same for the mercury white ('pro') models, they seem to be fixed to certain configurations.

Is this always the case with Razer? Do they become more flexible over time or would I be forced into tearing out RAM & SSD to upgrade them right after purchasing the machine? I want 32gb+1tb!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is this always the case with Razer?
Yes, that's typical for razer. They have a maddening level of inflexibility (with configurations)

I think many people who buy Razers will replace the SSD and ram for their own anyways

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not having the Optical KB on my Mercury White Pro was not a concern for me however I do wish you could pick and choose SSD/RAM options. 32gb+1tb was standard on this model

I would quite like the stealth in Mercury White with the 1650dgpu

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Yes, that's typical for razer. They have a maddening level of inflexibility (with configurations)

I think many people who buy Razers will replace the SSD and ram for their own anyways
What a completely inane way of selling your products. I mean, I can understand it's a hard balance between allowing all the options (try the Lenovo site) and limiting the number of SKUs, but this seems a bit extreme. Buy new - upgrade immediately. I'm not a fanboy, but Apple seems to have found a decent middle way. Well, good to know, so thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What a completely inane way of selling your products.
It seems to work for them ?‍♂️. I'm not justifying their actions just pointing out that they are highly sought after. If I were to buy a Razer, I'll probing buy it from Bestbuy or Amazon so I get their hardware support (geek squad for BB) so I'm limited to stock configurations anyways

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Well, the optical keyboard isn’t out yet in Europe officially so I don’t expect them to offer it in ISO layout yet anyway. But interesting technology!

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I may have an opportunity to get one sooner then later, so do I get one now or wait for the next refresh. I don't think the 10th gen Intel CPU may be worth the wait and if they move to AMD for the Ryzen processor I'll probably want to stick with Intel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.