Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fusionskies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Hey, not sure if this is in the right forum, (as I collect more recent apple devices), but I have a question regarding the restoration of the rubber gasket on, (in this case) an original iPad from 2010.
I suppose this could apply to any apple device with a rubber gasket on the display anyways, including modern devices.

I took the display off an original iPad to attempt to fix the board, and destroyed the seal when removing as it was so old, it just crumbled away.
Got me thinking as to how I could restore the seal, a google search really brought up nothing which surprised me, and I was thinking of creative ways to restore the seal, as much as possible.

Any recommendations? is there some kind of air drying putty, or epoxy that you could perhaps work into the gap between the display and the case, and then use a spudger to remove the excess?

I work a lot with polymer clay, but problem is that material requires baking in an oven, and dries rock solid.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.