Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
Many years ago I used to be in the professional tech world. By roughly 2006 I was burned out, and so I left and went to do other things.

In the intervening years, I've completely switched over to the Linux world, and haven't actively touched anything from Apple (or Microsoft). By "actively touched" I mean in a professional sense. Obviously, I have physically touched Apple hardware, as well as systems running Windows. However, as far as personally owned, done any serious troubleshooting on, etc., I've really been out of the loop.

Lately, I've decided to get back into the professional end of technology. The landscape has changed a lot since how things were in 2006, and while I've generally kept up, there are clearly significant gaps in my "current" knowledge.

Earlier this year I bought a desktop PC with Windows 10 for two reasons. First, I wanted more modern hardware than I was running, and it kind of goes without saying it runs my Linux distro of choice just mind-bendlingly well. However, I also wanted to have a copy of Windows 10 so I could play with it and get familiar because it's a major part of the tech industry.

However, much to my surprise, a very significant percentage of places I've seen job listings for include knowledgeability in iOS and/or macOS.

Now, I've no hardware on which to run a current version of macOS, and likewise I've no hardware for iOS, either.

So, here's my question: Which platform, iOS or macOS, is more important for me to come up to speed on? Or, alternatively, if I in truth should become knowledgeable on both, which one should I start with? And what I mean by "start with" is which one is the higher priority to be able to support? I'm fully aware that iOS is not "macOS lite", or anything of the kind. However, I need to know which to go with first to give myself the best shot in general of getting my foot in the door of the modern world.

I would prefer this post be answered chiefly by people already professionally involved in the technology world (note that I am deliberately not using the term "I.T." because that has a somewhat different connotation) but I am happy to get useful feedback from anybody.

Thanks in advance!

The Blue Quark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.