Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegozuniga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Hi,

I bought my 14' Ibook G4 last October and have been loving it since then. Bought after going to the Apple Store in NYC i feel in love with the new Macbook. So I am going to sell my original Ibook to my ex-girlfriend whom i conviced to switch to Mac. As she is a PC person, she wants me to give it to her fully formated and cleaned up. Basically she as well as I don't want any trace of my files in here laptop. I will sell here the Ibook right now in July but won't be able to by the Macbook till September. So my questions are as follow;

1) What would be my best alternative for saving all my stuff before i get the Macbook. I have a Super Drive on my Ibook, is burning them on DVD's the best option?

2) Is re-installing OS X the only means of going about it? If so, how do you go about it.

3) Will re-installing OS X install all of the I-life applications also?11

Sorry about the questions, i know they may seem kind of dumb, but i have never reformated my Apple. Thanks a lot for your help and patience.

Diego

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
diegozuniga said:
1) What would be my best alternative for saving all my stuff before i get the Macbook. I have a Super Drive on my Ibook, is burning them on DVD's the best option?

Yeah, or an external drive or iPod might be easier if you have one/them. :)

diegozuniga said:
2) Is re-installing OS X the only means of going about it? If so, how do you go about it.

It's probably the cleanest. Just do an erase & install and shut the machine down when you get to the OSX intro video. She'll receive it like new.

diegozuniga said:
3) Will re-installing OS X install all of the I-life applications also?

If you use the restore discs that came with the machine, you'll get iLife. If you use a retail copy of OSX then it'll only include the OS, with no iLife. Of course, you can install OSX and then add iLife from the restore discs, but this means setting up an account and your ex-girlfriend may not necessarily want you to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.