Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluorescent1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
Hi all,

I decided to reinstall 10.13.2 today because a third party application I use for work (scientific software) wasn't opening (I know, brute force method, sorry). After reinstalling the OS I arrive at the login screen but it's entirely unpopulated and when I enter my UID and PWD from this morning nothing happens. Apple phone support had me go through some troubleshooting to no avail and then told me I needed to erase the HD and restore from a time machine back (which thankfully isn't too old in my case). However I was hoping to solicit any opinions or suggestions on possible, less dramatic fixes. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
John

TekAdvice

Suspended
Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, I am forced to agree with Apple on this. It seems the best thing you can do is erase the drive and reinstall the os. Maybe you can get away with only reinstalling the os though. It depends on what is causing your problem. I would advise first trying to reinstall the os, then if that does not work, erase the drive and reinstall the os. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.