Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Hi All,

I have a mid-2011 iMac that I bought new. Back in those days the default OSX was Lion 10.7
Over the years I have been upgrading both hardware and OSX to get to what I am currently running: macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Recently, I have discovered that iBooks has become corrupt, where it crashes every time I attempt to open it.

I believe the only way to resolve this issue is to re-install OSX.

Now..... when I press Option, Command-R on the boot, then Re-Install OSX, i find it wants to re-install OSX Lion 10.7

Do I have to start all over again and update back to where I am now?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi All,

I have a mid-2011 iMac that I bought new. Back in those days the default OSX was Lion 10.7
Over the years I have been upgrading both hardware and OSX to get to what I am currently running: macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Recently, I have discovered that iBooks has become corrupt, where it crashes every time I attempt to open it.

I believe the only way to resolve this issue is to re-install OSX.

Now..... when I press Option, Command-R on the boot, then Re-Install OSX, i find it wants to re-install OSX Lion 10.7

Do I have to start all over again and update back to where I am now?
Have you tried to Disk Utility to check you internal drive? A reinstall of the OS may not work properly if you are having drive problems.

"Option, Command-R" is internet recovery which tries to install the OS that shipped with your Mac.
Have your tried the regular Recovery "Command-R on the boot"?

Is there any reason that you froze at "macOS High Sierra 10.13.3" and not updated to 10.13.6? I do not believe you can download the earlier version so it is not available unless you saved the installer.

Do you have any backups before attempting to install an OS (in case things go bad and you lose everything)?

The minimum installed OS to update to HS is 10.8.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

Here is a link to download the full 10.13.6 installer (see Step 4):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

I would recommend downloading the full installer then making a bootable USB installer:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Thanks CoastalOR,

The only problem I have is when I goto run iBooks, it crashes and I believe the only way to fix that is to re-install the OS.
I guess that leads into another question, will I loose any of my data or existing apps that I have installed as a result of the OS re-install?

Pete

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I guess that leads into another question, will I loose any of my data or existing apps that I have installed as a result of the OS re-install?
It depends on how you plan to re-install macOS. I need to know how you will do the installation and if you have a backup.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OK, in that case I will be guided by yourself.
What do you recommend?
I believe I asked some questions and made a recommendation in my post #2. There was no real response, so there is not much I can offer for a recommendation.

I will say, in every post I have made thus far I've mentioned a backup to help insure data will not be lost if there is a problem. So far the subject of backups have been ignored.

IF things work well when you download the full installer (the same OS that you were using, HS I'm assuming) to install it over the current installation then your settings, data and apps SHOULD be preserved. No guarantees since the exact cause of the problem has not been determined.

Will it fix your problems with iBook? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
I believe I asked some questions and made a recommendation in my post #2. There was no real response, so there is not much I can offer for a recommendation.

I will say, in every post I have made thus far I've mentioned a backup to help insure data will not be lost if there is a problem. So far the subject of backups have been ignored.

IF things work well when you download the full installer (the same OS that you were using, HS I'm assuming) to install it over the current installation then your settings, data and apps SHOULD be preserved. No guarantees since the exact cause of the problem has not been determined.

Will it fix your problems with iBook? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Sorry CoastalOR,

The only reason why the version stopped at 10.13.3 and not 10.13.6 is that the update fails to install. It goes through the process, but after the restart, I have the message saying some items failed to install, leaving me the 10.13.3.

Yes, I do have a full Backup but it's a few months old. I have made a second Backup which is current. I'll use this if all goes pair-shaped.

I will try the installer as you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If this is the only problem, you can create new user, and check whether iBook still problem with the new account. After that, you can move the data to this new user.

Upgrading will require significant effort (especially if you are not familiar with technicality of OSX), and you may have other problems as well in the new OS. Unless you have critical requirement to update, I would suggest stay as you already familiar and comfort with.

Thanks CoastalOR,

The only problem I have is when I goto run iBooks, it crashes and I believe the only way to fix that is to re-install the OS.

Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.