Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorOwned

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Hi everyone,

I’ve just upgraded my early 2015 MacBook Pro to a bigger SSD.

I was thinking it’d be good to reuse the SSD on my old desktop PC that’s still using old school SATA hard drives - is there any adapter that will let me do that? I have on idea what the weird connector on the Apple one is called

Many thanks,
Owen

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

I’ve just upgraded my early 2015 MacBook Pro to a bigger SSD.

I was thinking it’d be good to reuse the SSD on my old desktop PC that’s still using old school SATA hard drives - is there any adapter that will let me do that? I have on idea what the weird connector on the Apple one is called

Many thanks,
Owen
Yes there's an adapter. You can get both sata and pcie flavours on ebay. You'd get faster speeds through pcie if you have a spare slot. You'll want the 13/14/15 version.

MajorOwned

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Many thanks - could you point me in the direction of a sata one please? I'm getting a bit lost!

Thanks again

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Many thanks - could you point me in the direction of a sata one please? I'm getting a bit lost!

Thanks again
I thought they existed, but I can't actually find any. Makes sense though, why would you want to throttle a pcie ssd back to sata speeds. Best to run a pcie ssd on a pcie bus. The linked adapter might be your only option. Or you can sell the macbook ssd and then buy a sata one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.