Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, before trying to set a location based in Reminders yesterday and scratching my head to have the the slider appear and switch to green, l didn't know there was a known issue with Reminders in iOS 9 on the subject. I read all the posts and tried all I could find in it but nothing works. Just can't set those location based reminders. Wifi is on, notifications too, location based notifications system wide. Reminders is blocked nowhere. Is it a bug or something I do wrong? Help is very welcome. Happens on my Air 2, iOS 9.2.1. Than is merci millions Times.

dickydoo

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Hi, before trying to set a location based in Reminders yesterday and scratching my head to have the the slider appear and switch to green, l didn't know there was a known issue with Reminders in iOS 9 on the subject. I read all the posts and tried all I could find in it but nothing works. Just can't set those location based reminders. Wifi is on, notifications too, location based notifications system wide. Reminders is blocked nowhere. Is it a bug or something I do wrong? Help is very welcome. Happens on my Air 2, iOS 9.2.1. Than is merci millions Times.

My guess is that you have a Wifi-only iPad, which doesn't have a GPS.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205890

"Location based reminders are available in iOS 8 or later on iPhone 4 and later, iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + Cellular), iPad (4th generation Wi-Fi + Cellular), iPad Air and later (Wi-Fi + Cellular), iPad mini 4 (Wi-Fi + Cellular), and iPod touch (6th generation)."

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello and thanks. You're right, I have a Wi-Fi only iPad, but can that explain everything. So my iMac has a GPS, which is a thing I was not aware of since I can set location based reminders OSX Reminders app on my iMac. iMac relies on Wi-Fi and Router to set a location, doesn'it? Otherwise "Find my Mac" wouldn't work. Weird. Does it mean triangulation of wireless base stations and cell phone towers don't work on a non Wi-Fi iPad? Also, I fired up my old Wi-Fi only Galaxy Tab 3 and entered a fake meeting in stock calendar app. I could input reminders based on date or location. And of course location based reminders are available in my iPhone 5s. This iPad only thing got me mesmerized. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.