Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defie22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Hello.

I'm uploading files from my Windows 10 PC to my external HDD (MacOS Extended) connected to Mac Mini (model 2012 - OSX 10.13.2).

After the upload I don't have read & write rights on the Mac Mini. So I have to choose the files and set correct rights for my user name (get file info/+ user/ set privilege)

Is there a way how to get the read & write right for all the new files automatically? I don't want to change rights on my PC or Mac Mini after every new upload.

Thank you for your help. I'm really desperate :/

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Right-click on the drive or folder where you uploaded the files and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the pop-up window, unlock the padlock, then if your name is not in the list, add it with the "+" button. select your user name and set the privilege to "Read & Write", then select the "gear" button and "Apply to enclosed items". Once it is done, you should be good to go.

Good luck ...

Defie22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Right-click on the drive or folder where you uploaded the files and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the pop-up window, unlock the padlock, then if your name is not in the list, add it with the "+" button. select your user name and set the privilege to "Read & Write", then select the "gear" button and "Apply to enclosed items". Once it is done, you should be good to go.

Good luck ...
Thank you for your tip! Yes its working but only for the old files. When I add new files/folders then I have to do your procedure again :/

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Right click on the external drive, select "Get Info", click on the padlock, enter your Admin password. Then, place a check in the box that says: "Ignore Ownership". That should do it. One of the problems with transferring files from a NTFS formatted drive (Windows PC) is that sometimes ownership is retained by Windows.

Reactions: satcomer and hfg

Defie22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks chscag, but it doesn't work.

When I copy new folder than this folder is not accessible. I have to go to "get info" and "add" the right local user (or go to the higher folder via "get info" let inherit the privileges)

Don't you have any other tip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.