Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpyeagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
My iPad Air gets used in bed about 80% of the time. This is one of the reasons my 2014 rMBP gets much less love than it should.

Since I am tempted to get one, I wonder if I'll throw money away for another apple device that, for the most part, will be sleeping alongside my rMBP given my usage pattern and its weight/dimensions.

So want to find out from anyone else planning to buy iPad Pro purely for entertainment purposes - How and where will you be using it?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
iPad Air is borderline too big in bed for me... I have to push it away to read.

Mini 4 is perfect in the bed for reading.

Pro would be ridiculously too big in the biscuit.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
I think the mini is the perfect size for reading in bed. If I'm watching a movie, I do prefer a bigger screen so I use my old iPad 2 but I don't hold it over my head, I'll rest it on my stomach or something and sit up a bit.

I can't imagine using an iPad Pro while lying down...

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I already find my Air 2 to be a little on the large side for using it in bed. It's the main reason why I still have my Nexus 7 in daily use (as an e-book reader and for quick browsing in bed). I probably wouldn't take the iPad Pro to bed -- just bulky and might have a poor viewing angle due to the display's size.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
I agree with the folks who say it's rather large for bedtime reading/video watching. I suppose we'll see when it comes out, though.

And I also thought the original ipad was a bit too heavy to hold steady for a significant length of time, at least in bed or while seated without a table.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
While laying down, I mostly write on my iPad and watch some netflix or tv. Once the Pro comes out i'll be using that for writing, drawing, and everything else. The weight doesn't bother me, I just don't want to accidentally fall asleep and wake up with the iPad crushed under my elbow or something. Ha ha.

Kallum.

FrederikTK

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Denmark
I had the original iPad for less than a week. It was much to heavy to use as an e-reader.
Having the weight spread out over a larger area might help you in that regard. It should make the device feel less heavy than it is, relative to a smaller device.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
As a (mostly for entertainment) user of the nearly-as-big Note Pro 12.2 I don't find it to be too big or heavy to use in bed or anywhere else. The key is having a case that supports multiple angles. Because the Apple keyboard cover doesn't, I am likely skipping it and getting a third party case like I've got for the 12.2.

The bigger size makes it much better for media consumption. You can actually read text while fitting more than a paragraph on the screen at a time. It also makes multitasking a lot more fun. I've been using Youtube and Google Hangouts next to each other frequently.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
this too is an option im seriously considering

Pro - work and daytime
Air - general around the house
Mini - bed and holidays

I'm expecting a similar use:
Pro - General Use
Air - Holiday, PDFs & Occasional Bed
Kindle - Long Form Reading

I prefer e-ink when I'm going to be doing a lot of reading. Also nicer when reading outdoors. Hard to say exactly how the split will play out between the Pro and Air, but I don't yet expect the Pro can completely replace it when portability is more important. But it might mean I stop upgrading the iPad regularly and just keep the Air 2 until it dies instead of reselling it.

rwp

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2015
LA, CA, US
I own an iPad Mini 2, which I love for reading/watching Netflix in bed. I was going to trade it in to help offset the purchase of the iPad Pro, but when I saw I could only get about $150 for it, decided to just keep it. In a way I was actually relieved -- I wasn't sure I would enjoy reading on iPad Pro in bed for long periods of time.

So it will be iPad Mini 2 + iPad Pro for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.