Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have a 3,1 mac pro running El Capitan. My dad gave me a WD green 3TB drive out of his pc running windows 10. This drive is full of older movies and documentaries. What I intend to do is put it in my mac pro and drag all the files onto another drive. What I cannot find is whether or not my computer will read from a windows 10 drive. I don't need to write to it as I will format it after I get the files off and onto another drive.
Please advise.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have a 3,1 mac pro running El Capitan. My dad gave me a WD green 3TB drive out of his pc running windows 10. This drive is full of older movies and documentaries. What I intend to do is put it in my mac pro and drag all the files onto another drive. What I cannot find is whether or not my computer will read from a windows 10 drive. I don't need to write to it as I will format it after I get the files off and onto another drive.
Please advise.
The drive is in my computer and all is well. it works just fine. I can read from it but cannot write to it.
This is fine because when all the files are copied off onto another drive, I will format it and put it to use.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
This is fine because when all the files are copied off onto another drive, I will format it and put it to use.

Keep your eye on those files that you copy from the NTFS drive to another drive. You may find that they're locked which means you would need to adjust the permissions.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Thanks for the heads up. Turns out that wasn't an issue so I guess I got lucky.
Keep your eye on those files that you copy from the NTFS drive to another drive. You may find that they're locked which means you would need to adjust the permissions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.