Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lperc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
New York City
So I will preface this by saying that I know I'm a complete and utter moron. And I regret so many choices that were made.

I wound up getting really drunk last night and came home and vomited on my 2015 MacBook Pro keyboard. I don't know exactly what I did other than wipe it off (I was inexcusably drunk and 100% should not have had my computer open at all). It was working fine today, but I've powered it down so as to avoid any further damage. Part of the issue is that I live in Ireland at the moment and there are only authorized Apple service providers and no actual stores. I'm taking it to a service provider first thing tomorrow morning.

My question is what exactly should I say to them? I had a previous MacBook get some liquid damage, and the guy at the Apple Store said he'd pretended I hadn't said that so that the repair would be less expensive since it was only one part that wasn't working and if he'd gone by the book, he'd have had to replace basically everything. So I got off really lucky there. When I take this one in, do I just ask for a diagnostic test or is it better to tell them exactly what happened? To my knowledge Apple doesn't offer cleaning services, right? They'd just replace whatever's not working?

Any advice would be really appreciated, especially given what a massive idiot I am.

There are videos on how to disassemble an MBP Retina on YouTube. Take a look, evaluate if you're up to it, then have a look on eBay to see if there are any cheap keyboards on offer.

To be honest I think you should have a stab at doing this yourself. I can't imagine any techs are going to want to handle that repair if you're honest, and even if you don't tell them there's going to be a definite smell when they open the case.

lperc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
New York City
There are videos on how to disassemble an MBP Retina on YouTube. Take a look, evaluate if you're up to it, then have a look on eBay to see if there are any cheap keyboards on offer.

To be honest I think you should have a stab at doing this yourself. I can't imagine any techs are going to want to handle that repair if you're honest, and even if you don't tell them there's going to be a definite smell when they open the case.

The main thing is that I'm not terribly technically savvy, so I'm worried I might mess it up further by attempting any kind of repair myself. I've watched a couple of tutorials and they look more complicated than what I should probably be attempting.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
OP, I've been where you are. Funny story, I've actually had to sacrifice two computers to vomit related "incidents", only one of which I was responsible for. Believe it or not, the dog actually was the culprit the second time. You want, nay, need her to eat some homework, and she couldn't care less. But throwing up on a perfectly good computer? Sure thing!

All said and done, she still was the best dog in the world.

As for the one I destroyed? Didn't have the gall to impose it on another human being (or even the dog), and threw it away once I was certain it was done for. Hopefully you can figure out your situation!

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
You've never seen or smelled dog or cat vomit, have you ;)
I actually have.
But a few days later, don't think the service guy can or will tell. Hopefully the guy got most cleaned up before he takes it to service. The aftersmell, well, it all just smells ughh ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.