Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
I don't know if this is even technologically possible yet. I have a TV setup with a recent Sony smart TV connected by HDMI to a 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave. I would like to watch more Spanish programming, but don't know enough of the language to follow dialogs. It's Over-The-Air (OTA) broadcasts with Spanish subtitles, but no English subtitles. I record them on the Mini with an EyeTV tuner and software and watch later.

So, does anyone know of any options to either translate the embedded Spanish subtitles to English, which could be an off-line task, or translate the audio directly to English in near real-time? There are numerous "translators" on Amazon, most targeted at conversational uses while on travel, etc. There are some BlueTooth earphones or headphones that claim translation ability (search "real-time bluetooth language translator"). Most such devices barely reach 3 or 4 out of 5 ratings. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on what to look for?

My wife, who is bilingual, says I should learn more Spanish, but that is the more difficult route, IMO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.