Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cowinacape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Surrey B.C. Canada
Would you see any real difference in the response/speed of Logic Pro, say using an intel iMac as the host and a mini as a node? I am trying to wrap my head around this so any insight from someone familiar with with this type of setup would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
There has been much discussion about this on the apple.com logic forums. Bascially, the intel dual core mac mini can handle as many tracks as a powermac G5 dual 2Ghz. So you'd be adding another machine of that CPU power to your studio.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Wow really, that much power? It could be cheaper just to buy 3 Mac mini's and hook them up, although we'll have to wait and see how the new Mac Pro's
blow the old Powermac out of the water for comparison (how 3 Mac mini's compare with 1 Mac Pro ... very intriguing). I guess it's akin to adding in another DSP card for a higher track and plugin count (more voices).

I'm still waiting for Logic to improve/make more intuitive the audio editing capabilities. I'm sorry but Protools works gangbusters as far as editing goes. And with Logic you have to open another audio editor window or change fade values in some pane to the side or something ( -confusing as heck).

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Yeah it's pretty crazy. I have a powermac G5 dual CPU 2Ghz. It handles all I need in Logic. If I get to a point needing more CPU, I can just pick up a mac mini and don't have to throw out the powermac for a whole new computer.

There's a guy who benchmarked all sorts of test with the mini hooked up as a node. Since the intel minis have gigabit ethernet, that works very well for hooking them up as a node.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1930518&#1930518

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1827813&#1827813

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.