Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
This comes under the heading "Minor Annoyance" rather than "Major Issue".

Whenever I open a new Finder window in list view, or change from column or icon to list view, the items are always ordered the wrong way! By default I use "By Name" but rather that being ordered from A - Z, or 1 - 9, with A or 1 being at the top, it's always the other way round!

It's a small thing, but I find it really annoying! I'm sure, somewhere, there's a thing top tell it which way round I want it. I think there used to be, but blowed if I can find it.

Any ideas, hive mind?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
This seems unusual, not what I see. Did you try to remove Finder preferences (plist?). Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Delete it and it will get recreated. See if that helps.

Reactions: quatermass

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
This seems unusual, not what I see. Did you try to remove Finder preferences (plist?). Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Delete it and it will get recreated. See if that helps.
Good idea - will do!

And yes, it does seem odd - been using Macs since they ran on steam and can't recall this behaviour at all.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Try looking into System Preferences -> Language and Region -> General -> Advanced. Change the list sort order to things other than Universal. I have a Danish sort order that I can choose in that popup-menu. I use American-English as the language for my OS.
If you live in England - then try adding British-English to the language list in the previous screen. Or what ever other language you happen to speak natively.
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 21.29.59.png

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
On the right side of the column header there is a small gray arrow that points either up or down. Click on it to change the sort order from top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. Once you change it, it will stay set that way until you change it again.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
On the right side of the column header there is a small gray arrow that points either up or down. Click on it to change the sort order from top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. Once you change it, it will stay set that way until you change it again.
You can also activate additional columns like "Date Modified" or "Date Created" and sort by those. Just right-click on any column header and you'll get a menu to check/uncheck visible columns.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Actually, all you have to do is click on the any column heading…to select sorting by that column…and then click the same column to reverse the sorting order.
Yep, you can do that, but what I'd rather have is the windows show descending or by default.
Whenever I open a folder, or make a new Finder window, it's always the wrong way, and I'm sure it didn't use to be like that!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yep, you can do that, but what I'd rather have is the windows show descending or by default.
Whenever I open a folder, or make a new Finder window, it's always the wrong way, and I'm sure it didn't use to be like that!
I'm pretty sure what I see is the way I left it the last time I had the folder open…which is usually the sorting I prefer but sometimes not.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
@quatermass - if your folder settings aren't being remembered, your system isn't working correctly. There is a hidden file in each folder that is written so that they maintain your last-used settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.