Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
I bought this phone (Jet Black 7+) maybe like five days ago. I noticed that it heats up when browsing internet, starting from the top right side (where the camera is) to all of the right side. When I used to use the iPhone 6+ (that I traded in to get this 7+), I didn't notice any overheating up from using camera, surfing the net, watching videos, or any other heavy use. The only times it overheat was when the surrounding air was not cool enough (for example outside in the Summer or non-air-conditioned room in Summer, or under the blanket), and/or when it was being charged.

When I addressed this iPhone 6+ heating problem somewhere, I was told that iPhone 6 has a heating problem, and that iPhone 6s uses a better processor that helps with the heating. Is this true? If it's true, then did another heating problem come with the iPhone 7+?

This phenomenon is something I experienced with the iPhone SE in the Apple store. Whenever I just browed websites or watched YouTube, it would start to get pretty uncomfortably hot starting from the top right side of the phone.

I traded in the 6+ for a credit of $175 off the 7+. It had the typical 'Touch Disease,' and I feel like I need to return this and get it back (if they still have it) so I can fix it for $150 on this site: http://mendonipadrehab.com/price-list

Another negatives of the 7+:
It's very hard to plug in and out the power cable, and press the volume button, which I assume is because they made it tighter for waterproofness.

Of course, the iPhone 8+ could be purchased instead for the wireless charging so that one does not have to plug in and plug out the power cable especially when it has become so hard to do so, but with all that additional weight of the 8+, it would all that weight would take a toll and become uncomfortable to use for long stretches of time.

I suppose the the camera is good for zoom but I don't see a need for zoom especially when you zoom your hand's shaking is very visible.

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
If you traded in your 6+, there's no getting it back. You can return the 7+ if you don't like it and choose another iPhone or receive a credit for your 6+.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Does that mean that I get back $175 as well or just the portion that I paid for? In the latter case I would have just lost the 6+ for nothing (donation to Apple?).

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Does that mean that I get back $175 as well or just the portion that I paid for? In the latter case I would have just lost the 6+ for nothing (donation to Apple?).
If you do a full return, you will get back an Apple credit for the trade in and a refund of what you paid for the phone. Or you can buy another phone and apply it towards the new one.

Last edited:

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
I see. By the way, the iPhone 7+ came with an ATT SIM card. I had my own SIM card in by a Genius at the store but I was wondering why was that SIM card in there in the first place? I thought maybe this was a returned phone where somebody returned this while leaving the SIM card in there?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I see. By the way, the iPhone 7+ came with an ATT SIM card. I had my own SIM card in by a Genius at the store but I was wondering why was that SIM card in there in the first place? I thought maybe this was a returned phone where somebody returned this while leaving the SIM card in there?

What is really going on. You have multiple started threads on different models, all with heating problems.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Are you on iOS 11 by chance? Seems like there are lots of reports on this forum about heating after the iOS 11 upgrade with the 7's. I've had my 7 since launch and I'm still on iOS 10.3.3 and it works flawlessly and no noticeable heating unless I'm play a game like Pokémon go.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Yes I am on iOS 11. Perhaps that's the reason! And is there no way to go back when you've upgraded?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Yes I am on iOS 11. Perhaps that's the reason! And is there no way to go back when you've upgraded?
If you return your 7+ and buy another one, it will come with IOS 10, plus you may solve the tight charging port issue that you mentioned. If you are not happy with it you can return it and buy a new 7+ or 6S+. If this is all just buyers remorse then you need to decide if you want to keep it or just take it back for a refund.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It’s probably iOS 11.

10.3.3 is a where a lot of us want to go back to. :(

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
However, I have a backup of the iPhone 6+ I had and when I restored from the backup it if I remember correctly it didn't give me a choice to stay on the iOS of my backup but forced me to upgrade to 11.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Honestly, this is normal. It's normal with the 8, 8 Plus, and X too. These things are as powerful as a MacBook Pro and they fit in your pocket - expect a little heat. It's all within spec, and it's not going away anytime soon.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
However, I have a backup of the iPhone 6+ I had and when I restored from the backup it if I remember correctly it didn't give me a choice to stay on the iOS of my backup but forced me to upgrade to 11.
It doesn't force you to upgrade to IOS 11 from a back up unless your 6+ back up was on IOS 11. If so, then you would need to set up as new to keep your IOS 10 or use an older back up before you updated to IOS 11

Last edited:

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Honestly, this is normal. It's normal with the 8, 8 Plus, and X too. These things are as powerful as a MacBook Pro and they fit in your pocket - expect a little heat. It's all within spec, and it's not going away anytime soon.

Would that mean that one would need to go back to an iPhone that is not as powerful as MBP? Which would be 6s+?

whyisjadakiss

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
New York City
I am so pissed off. I opened my phone happily with 10.3.3 to show a co worker something and the request asking if I wanted to update popped up and I clicked install now by 100 percent mistake, my thumb was already on the way to click something else and clicked it. I was unable to stop it even though i immediately tried to restart my phone. My phone kept going through with the "upgrade" and while on the apple screen with while progress bar i tried to restart numerous times because I DID NOT WANT THE UPDATE. Eventualy I got to a point where the apple logo was just flashing on and off and the only way I was able to get back to my phone as far as I could figure out was the plg into my computer at home and complete the upgrade/ However I thought that after completing the upgrade my phone would have all its ****ing files. BUT It DIDNt I HAd tO RESTORE sO NOW MY pHONE IS BLAnK anD rEStORED
[doublepost=1511320553][/doublepost]I AM SO MAD MY PHONE IS ALREADY HOT AND IVE ONLY HAD IOS 11 FOR FIvE MINUTES

Reactions: Newtons Apple

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I am so pissed off. I opened my phone happily with 10.3.3 to show a co worker something and the request asking if I wanted to update popped up and I clicked install now by 100 percent mistake, my thumb was already on the way to click something else and clicked it. I was unable to stop it even though i immediately tried to restart my phone. My phone kept going through with the "upgrade" and while on the apple screen with while progress bar i tried to restart numerous times because I DID NOT WANT THE UPDATE. Eventualy I got to a point where the apple logo was just flashing on and off and the only way I was able to get back to my phone as far as I could figure out was the plg into my computer at home and complete the upgrade/ However I thought that after completing the upgrade my phone would have all its ****ing files. BUT It DIDNt I HAd tO RESTORE sO NOW MY pHONE IS BLAnK anD rEStORED
[doublepost=1511320553][/doublepost]I AM SO MAD MY PHONE IS ALREADY HOT AND IVE ONLY HAD IOS 11 FOR FIvE MINUTES
You just loaded a new IOS and interrupted it and did a restore, of course it's going to be hot. Let it cool down while you cool down. It will be ok ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can any one summarize this video?

My suggestion to you is this. I wouldn't worry about how every single iPhone varies in temperature. It's depending how you're using your iPhone and what for that sometimes it will warm up considerably. But that doesn't make the iPhone necessarily defective or indicate something is wrong.

Reactions: pat500000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.