Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
The new 2.0 firmware on a 1.0 iphone.

Syncing is now taking forever (20+ mins) because it spends a ton of time "Backing up". Anyone else running into this?

I'm adding and subtracting apps. Wonder if this is cause?

nomadpass

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Dude... I COULDNT agree more. Backing up for me too forever. What is this backing up and why is it taking 7+ mins??

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
I'm getting "sync is complete" even though it's still copying music....the rotating arrows are spinning on the left side by the iphone device.......??

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha peterhenley,

I got that today, on the first sync with my "new" 8GB "iPhonePod touch". I decided to keep my 1st gen iPhone, so it is now, effectively, an iPod touch. My wife wants to use it to watch movies and listen to music. She really wanted to use it as a cell phone without the data, but that's not going to happen with AT&T, but she really loves the User Interface.

That being said, I noticed the same thing today. iTunes indicated that it had completed the sync with my 1st gen iPhone, but the spinning arrows continued for another 30 seconds or so. I'll watch after I complete my initial sync with my iPhone 3G to see if this continues.

HawaiiMacAddict

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It now backs up your applications and their data and settings in addition to your contacts, calendars, SMS, notes and phone settings

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
When I installed the "illegal" firmware 2.0 on my original iPhone on Thursday, I saw this same behavior. Every time I connected it to iTunes it did a FULL backup and took forever.

I'm pleased to say that my new 3G iPhone does NOT do the same thing. After I activated the 3G and sync'd it to move over my music and files, it still did a full backup on the very next sync. But since that point, it only does the quick backup, just like my original iPhone did in the past.

As has been mentioned, the "illegal" firmware 2.0 update is said to contain some developer debug code. The "illegal" one (found and installed by thousands on Thursday) is 7 MB larger than the one Apple released on Friday morning. So.... if you have the early firmware 2.0 update that you manually downloaded and installed, perhaps that is the cause of the problem. The firmware 2.0 on the iPhone 3G does NOT behave the same way.

Mark

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Aloha peterhenley,

I got that today, on the first sync with my "new" 8GB "iPhonePod touch". I decided to keep my 1st gen iPhone, so it is now, effectively, an iPod touch. My wife wants to use it to watch movies and listen to music. She really wanted to use it as a cell phone without the data, but that's not going to happen with AT&T, but she really loves the User Interface.

That being said, I noticed the same thing today. iTunes indicated that it had completed the sync with my 1st gen iPhone, but the spinning arrows continued for another 30 seconds or so. I'll watch after I complete my initial sync with my iPhone 3G to see if this continues.

HawaiiMacAddict

Thanks for confirming I'm not nuts - understand it syncs apps now but it said it was done....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.