Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I have this vocal recording that for whatever reason only recorded on the left side, so I was wondering how I can change it to play in the right and left speaker. Re-recording this is not an option. The programs I have available are Acid Pro and Soundtrack.

Thanks!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i assume you mean it's a stereo track and plays only in the L channel.

i'm not familiar with the s/w you have, but there should be a dual pan for that channel. simply move the L pan switch up to center.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, that's what I would recommend.

Sounds like you recorded it into a stereo track, but only used one input (normally the left is used when there's only one)...therefore putting it on the left side.

In Pro Tools, you can create two mono tracks and drag the stereo audio file to these two tracks and Pro Tools will automatically separate them into two mono audio files for you - well, they're already separated in the audio files folder...Pro Tools usually doesn't read stereo audio, but rather, dual mono...I find it to be quite handy.

Anyway, if you're not running Pro Tools, yes, just slide the left pan pot to the center.

Question: Is there any material on the right side of the vocal track?

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
You could also export the file to left and right mono files. most basic audio editors have this capability. Ditch the right file as there's nothing on it. then when you load up the left hand mono file into your sequencer (making sure to load it into a mono channel) it'll play dead centre in the stereo image.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I got it working now, thanks guys!

It's pretty sad that I wasn't able to figure that out on my own, oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.