Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I'm so annoyed at the fact that after all these years, our beloved Tom still announces time as one hour instead of one o'clock or one AM/PM.

Really, Tom? Get your act together.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Tom is apparently British - that's how the time is said in Queen's English.

Listen to the BBC sometime "The time is now eight hours, GMT."

Edit: Nope. You have your Language & Region setting set to "Time format: 24-Hour Time". That's how it pronounces it when you have that setting set. Note: *NOT* the "display time in 24 hour mode" in the Date & Time preference pane, but the Time Format setting in Language & Region.

Uncheck that box, and it will use "o'clock" like you expect, for every voice.

Reactions: sniffies

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Tom is apparently British - that's how the time is said in Queen's English.

Listen to the BBC sometime "The time is now eight hours, GMT."

Edit: Nope. You have your Language & Region setting set to "Time format: 24-Hour Time". That's how it pronounces it when you have that setting set. Note: *NOT* the "display time in 24 hour mode" in the Date & Time preference pane, but the Time Format setting in Language & Region.

Uncheck that box, and it will use "o'clock" like you expect, for every voice.
Thanks for the tip. OMG, all these years of annoyance and aggravation. I had no idea. I feel embarrassed. But I'm so used to 24-hour time and hearing o'clock/AM/PM. Any way to adjust the setting accordingly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.