Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotionDV

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
Nermal,
You have to understand that there are Hundreds of Thousands (Probably more) of people out there that are not as "Tech Savy" as you that check every day for the latest and greatest plugins, updates, programs and toys.

We provide a service that talks to pro video people as well as amateur people that love that we show them things like this, things that they may have never found out about themselves.

How about posting something constructive about the plugin, like how well does it work in certain programs? what are some of the constraints?

After all, you have been using it for months now, right?

stoid

macrumors 601
What I can't understand is why you would actually encode something into RealMedia format. Especially for the Mac, as RealPlayer for Mac has never been that great. I don't even have it installed on my machine, and if a website requires it, I simply don't bother visiting. If I really care, I might send them an E-mail suggesting that they use a better format.

emotionDV

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
Unfortunatley, in video, alot of our clients run on PC's and specifically request for stuff to be encoded into Real Media Format (Of course, I always try my best to talk them into Quicktime, or even WMV *shudder*).

Why cant we just all play nice and come up with a single format *sigh*, I must stop dreaming....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
emotionDV said:
Nermal,
You have to understand that there are Hundreds of Thousands (Probably more) of people out there that are not as "Tech Savy" as you that check every day for the latest and greatest plugins, updates, programs and toys.

I'm pretty sure when it was first announced, I would've learnt about it from this site. I was just trying to point out that the existence of the plugin isn't news. However, I apologise for coming across harsher than usual, I don't actually remember why - maybe the phone had just rung or something and I wanted to just quickly post something :confused:

Edit: Anyway, here's the original thread, from April.

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
stoid said:
What I can't understand is why you would actually encode something into RealMedia format.
Because RealMedia uses a variety of high-quality audio and video compressors, is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and is built on an open-source engine. The Mac player is a free download and is a Cocoa-based drag-install app designed just for Mac OS X.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
stoid said:
What I can't understand is why you would actually encode something into RealMedia format.
Unfortunately, QuickTime player is only available for two platforms, and on the platform with wider distribution the player simply isn't very good.

Trash Real all you like, but their player is available on many more platforms, and it can offer passable video with dialup-friendly file sizes. Quicktime handily bests Real when more bandwidth is available, but broadband availability is still far from universal :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iMeowbot said:
Unfortunately, QuickTime player is only available for two platforms, and on the platform with wider distribution the player simply isn't very good.

Agreed.

Trash Real all you like, but their player is available on many more platforms, and it can offer passable video with dialup-friendly file sizes.

I definitely agree there. Out of the 3 streamers, Real's my favourite.

Quicktime handily bests Real when more bandwidth is available, but broadband availability is still far from universal :(

Really? DSL has something like 93% coverage here in NZ, but I suppose some countries aren't as well off.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
stoid said:
What I can't understand is why you would actually encode something into RealMedia format. Especially for the Mac, as RealPlayer for Mac has never been that great. I don't even have it installed on my machine, and if a website requires it, I simply don't bother visiting. If I really care, I might send them an E-mail suggesting that they use a better format.

Send an email? Now why would you go and do a silly thing like that? The majority of webites stream video on Real format, not having it available for mac makes the mac even less copmatible with the rest of the planet :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Nermal said:
This has been available for months.
I'm with Nermal on this one. It would be one thing if the link in the original post took the reader to the RealMedia plug-in. It does not. The link is to a single-post thread on a bulletin board at EmotionDV.com where the poster talks about the RealMedia plug-in. Like the first poster in this thread, that poster did not provide a link to the plug-in or even tell us where we can find it. The non-techie, like the techie, is left to his/her own devices to do find it. The original poster in this thread commited two offenses: 1. He posted old news. 2. His post contains nothing useful to mitigate Offense No. 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.